Betty

Discussion in 'All Discussions' started by Valhallalla, Nov 11, 2023.

1. Valhallalla

Valhallalla Well-Known Member

Jan 24, 2013
    Man this sucks. I went on the other forum for the first time in quite a while only to find a tread with the same title as this one. It contained the said news that Bonnie aka Betty had passed. I did some poking around and found a nice obituary that obviously had contribution from one of the Shredding Betties.

https://obits.seawindsfh.com/obituary/bonnie-slade

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I found Bonnie's post about what was probably her last real surf session:

https://www.swellinfo.com/forum/thr...-surfing-this-week.25451/page-578#post-532558

I am glad to say that I was there that day to share Bonnie's moments of triumph over serious adversity. I remember well how happy she was to pop up on that first wave. She was quite simply glowing with stoke and everybody was cheering her on. It was magical. What a trooper. "Boy I missed this!!!! If this is my last sesh, I am satisfied!" she said in her post.

The memorial paddle out did happen on October 15. I wish I could have attended but I only found out about Bonnie's passing the other day.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I had the good fortune to have met and surfed with Bonnie as have some others here. She was a smaller woman in physical stature but had a big heart and a strong spirit. She had tremendous enthusiasm for this activity that we all love and shared the stoke whenever and with whoever she could. She loved to post about each surf session on the who's been surfing treads. Bonnie struggled hard to overcome the curve balls that life threw at her in order to get back in the ocean and feel the glide. To say she was inspirational is an understatement.

Go before you know. Betty would go. Glide on you beautiful soul, glide on...

2. World B Free

World B Free Well-Known Member

Feb 7, 2013
    This is tragic news. Thank you Valhallalla for taking the time to make sure that her friends here are aware of this sad event.

Our Ms. B was always the epitome of stoke. To hear this news brings a real tear to my eye.

She navigated this rough and tumble male-dominated forum like a boss. I admired her ever-present spirit and pluck. Betty conveyed her struggle without seeking sympathy. Her victories were the stuff of legend.

Slide On Betty. You will be missed.

3. metard

metard Well-Known Member

Mar 11, 2014
    wow. i hate to hear that.

she was always stoked and made the forum a better place.

4. Peajay4060

Peajay4060 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    What a stoked lady. Always kind. From what Betty wrote it seemed she was very sick but just kept surfing. Riding waves was good medicine.

Betty will always be. Found in all the hearts she touched. She brightened up the world.

5. seldom seen

seldom seen Well-Known Member

Aug 21, 2012
    I can't articulate better than any of you guys did, but man, that's terrible. She is a wonderful soul. RIP Betty.

eatswell and World B Free like this.