The only wetsuit i've ever owned is a 3/2 Xcel infinity and i love it. i typically surf until early November and get back in the water around Memorial Day. I would like to buy a 2nd suit to extend my surf season and I'm looking for suggestions. I am thinking of a 4/3 or a 5/4, but am leaning towards a 5/4 since i don't know how much use i will get out of a 4/3.
I am thinking about the following suits in either 4/3 or 5/4:
O'Neil Mutant or Psycho II
Rip Curl E-Bomb
P.S. I get cold fairly easily
CAT EXERCISE WHEEL
a 5/4 will get you through the entire winter... There are people that rock 4/3's even on the coldest days, but if you want to surf all winter long you mine as well go with the 5/4 for a marginal price difference.
I would recommend a 4/3 to get you through December and then start up again in April. For, Jan, Feb, Mar, the 5/4 is usually ideal.
I only want one wetsuit (either a 4/3 or a 5/4). A few questions.
1) Will a 5/4 be too warm in Nov?
2) Do built-in hoods get in the way when you are not wearing it (mutant would resolve this problem)?
3) What are some of the best suits out there for felxibility, warmth, etc.? Currently think about Xcel Drylock, O'Neil Mutant or Psycho 2 or Rip Curl E-Bomb...not sure what to get.
do NOT get E bomb. thats meant for flexibillty( E stands for elasto), get the F-bomb (F stands for fireskin). In new Jersey it is good to have a 5/4. i wore a 4/3 with a thermo with an attached hood so i really was 5mm in the chest n arms and i was fine. since your looking to buy top of the line like xcel drylock psycho 2 and f bomb(not e bomb) i think you will do fine with a 4/3 because those suits are so water tight and use the most flexible warmest neoprene out there, so you'll be fin with a hood attached to a thermal vest. oneill mutant isn't a bad choice. if i were you i'd look at a 4.3 oneill psycho 2 or pyschofreak, f bomb or xcel drylock and buy what ever fits the best.
Originally Posted by surfsup
ps. dont forget 7mm booties
if budget is any kind of a problem, the hyperflex amp is a great suit that isnt priced that bad
read my mind. love the suit, never felt cold the entire winter, flexible, and as stated before it's a great price
Originally Posted by JerseySurfRat89
Get a 5/4. If you can stand the cold, get a 4/3...
Originally Posted by surfsup
i wear a 4/3 down here at wb but on those really cold days i wear my wetsuit top underneath the suit if its freezing out there. but also you dont want to walk in a shop with your mind already made up. heres some facts that i've learned over the years through family and what not.
1. dont have your mind already made up.
2. take multiple suits in the dressing room as different suits fit you strange. like me im tall but only weigh like 120 so the billabongs fit me good when others dont.
3. walk around the shop in the suits you may look strange but it doesnt matter you'll be putting out big bucks for it so make sure it fits.
4. Dont get pissed if its tough to get on your feet put plastic bags on and it'll go on fine.
5. take a board off the racks and put it under your arm and just carry it around.
6. dont be afraid to be the 1st one on your block to have the first fullsuit cause sometimes the shops will do sales and give you discounts on the suit with accessories.
7. do squats or what ever in the suit to make sure it fits as i've said you may look funny but screw all the other people your be paying tons of money on this suit so you want to be sure it fits good.
8. Ask around cause people are the best help that i have learned, or ask the people at the shops they will probably help you alot unless they dont know anything about surfing.
I hope all of this will help you and keep asking questions cause its the only way you learn new stuff. thats what i've figured out.