LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Would you rather

Would you rather have a decent job/salary but work in a cube and NEVER surf (but able to afford all the toys/boards you want) OR collect unemployment and surf EVERY swell but be broke? I had to watch painfully via webcam all the guys getting shacked yesterday. Made me want to quit or change career paths. THE MAN doesn't want me surfing.

Images
    its really a catch 22 if you dont work how can u afford to surf??? And if you have a job that pays good but you cant afford to take off to surf how do you make time to get to the beach .

You have to pic and choose what more important. Living in poverty with a 6 year old browned surfboard or, Working and having good boards to ride and not being to able to take off every time there is a swell

the best guys here have jobs with hours that afford them time to surf every swell.

It's a real catch 22, so sad. At this point I think I would prefer to have a older car, smaller apt and less boards in order to get more surf. I've surfed only a few times in the past year, it has taken its toll. How do some people manage? I used to see guys in their mid thirtys in every swell. Most night jobs are not career jobs aka pay enough for me to pay off school. Life is too short to be selling your soul for a few extra bucks.

Quote Originally Posted by fupafest View Post
    It's a real catch 22, so sad. At this point I think I would prefer to have a older car, smaller apt and less boards in order to get more surf. I've surfed only a few times in the past year, it has taken its toll. How do some people manage? I used to see guys in their mid thirtys in every swell. Most night jobs are not career jobs aka pay enough for me to pay off school. Life is too short to be selling your soul for a few extra bucks.
    Yeah, but seeing the time-frame for how long it will take to pay off my student loans has a way of making life seem a hell of a lot longer.

I'm hoping to start working at a firm where they dont mind if you come in a 10, as long as you stay till 6, and get your work done. its a deadline drivien kind of business. real small firm, laid back, creative atmosphere

i was lucky enough to call in sick yesterday, but i have missed a bunch of swells since i started here

"Got a good salary, just to pay Sallie Mae" I'm living the real life office space, aaaahhh, wait...where's my stapler?

I have a full time job (good salary with benefits etc) and surf every good swell. It also helps that we dont get good swell every day on Delmarva or else I would get fired.

Images
    Get married and have kids. Then ask yourself that same question.

grass is always greener bro. I wrestle this one every day of my life. Sometimes (sitting at work watching firing webcams) I want to sell everything but my passport and just go to baja... then sell the passport!

But am I willing to do that with my life? Some days yes, but other days im glad that I didn't. One things for sure, unemployment is a privilege for those who are genuinely between jobs. If you just want to be a surf bum, please do it on your own dime.