LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: surftech boards

surftech boards

thinking about buying a tuflite board. maybe the rusty pro ject or the T. Patterson Pat O'Connel board. looking for some feedback on tuflite boards before i shell out any cash. thanks

might as well go surf on a pool toy! don't do it!

if you're dead-set on getting an epoxy, going to your local shaper will be cheaper by at least a couple hundred. & it'll be hand shaped custom for you. not some popout pool toy made by sweat shop workers.

Quote Originally Posted by njsurfer42 View Post
    might as well go surf on a pool toy! don't do it!

if you're dead-set on getting an epoxy, going to your local shaper will be cheaper by at least a couple hundred. & it'll be hand shaped custom for you. not some popout pool toy made by sweat shop workers.
    Couldn't agree more. I don't know any one who has a Surf Tech that really likes it. And if you buy one new and don't like it - its resale is about a third of what you paid for it. Save yourself a few bucks - buy local and get a real board.
    Last edited by Recycled Surfer; Dec 15, 2010 at 12:44 PM. Reason: .

Images
    what about TL2?

In tuflite's defense, they are very durable.

I bought a surftech 6'4" Hynson fish to have as a travel board.

Last trip I went on my buddy bought three of his boards with him when he opened up his bag in Lima all three were completely smashed. He was able to get one of the boards fixed by a local guy but ended up surfing a fun shape 3/4 of the trip. I am not even sure if he was able to fix the other two boards. And yes he packed them good....covered with towels, foam on the rails, etc. I swear to you it looked like the baggage people threw his board bag on the ground and started jumping on it!

I guess my point is that the surftechs do serve a purpose.

thanks guys

dont do it.

Images
    I've had a couple surftech's and a santa cruz - I didn't like the first surftech or the santa cruz - felt like a cork and didn't turn well, couldn't feel the wave etc.

But I absolutely love the TufLite2 that I have now, feels like a regular epoxy board and is very durable, from the feel and even the look of the board you would be very hard-pressed to tell the difference between the TL2 and a "regular" epoxy board - it is not your standard popout epoxy like the other surftech or santa cruz boards

I agree with a lot of the criticisms of epoxy boards, but I have found there's a place for one - just one - in my quiver (which ranges between 5-9 boards at a time). I have a 9'0"surftech Donald Takayama performance longboard that I really do like. Of course, you get none of the real longboard feel or trim, but it's so damn light that it has the float of a noserider and turns like a shortboard. It's the most versatible and indestructible board I have. If I have to grab one board for a trip, it's the one. It won't get damaged by the airlines and it will work in knee high to overhead surf.

That said, I don't want any more epoxy boards. This one is enough.

Images
    ok I dont mind epoxy boards one bit. theyre durable and I haven't noticed very much difference between my santa cruz and my lost (which is not epoxy and roughly same dims). Maybe if we had consistent head high waves I could critique a little better. So...if you go for an epoxy I dont think youll hate it like these guys have been sayin. If youre really lookin for good prices go to www.departmentofgoods.com and look under surfboards. Hope this helps.