LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: surftech boards

Images
    or wait until one pops up on www.whiskeymilitia.com Saw one on there the other day for $275.

Surftech boards work insane! I've had several over the past 8 years and everyone worked very well. You just need to get one with the right dimensions for you and surf it a few times in varying conditions to get used to it. The first one I had was a used 6'2" JC NX-1. It was a little floaty for me but worked pretty well once I got used to it. Contrary to one of the posts above, the re-sale on it was killer. I sold it for $50 less than what I paid for it a year earlier. If it was a poly board A) it wouldn't have lasted a year without being buckled and B) would've sold for about half what I paid for it.
    Now I'm on one of the new ULTRAFLX boards (5'10" SK8R) and the thing goes insane in anything slightly overhead and below. Just got it last week so we'll see how it holds up compared to the Tuflite boards.
    Best case would be to go to a shop and see if they have a demo board for you to test drive...

Quote Originally Posted by ragdolling View Post
    I agree with a lot of the criticisms of epoxy boards, but I have found there's a place for one - just one - in my quiver (which ranges between 5-9 boards at a time). I have a 9'0"surftech Donald Takayama performance longboard that I really do like. Of course, you get none of the real longboard feel or trim, but it's so damn light that it has the float of a noserider and turns like a shortboard. It's the most versatible and indestructible board I have. If I have to grab one board for a trip, it's the one. It won't get damaged by the airlines and it will work in knee high to overhead surf.

That said, I don't want any more epoxy boards. This one is enough.
    You know not all epoxy boards are surftechs right? Peopele are criticizing surftechs and you are criticizing and generalizing all epoxy boards. There is quite a bit of difference between different epoxy builds.

I have a 6'4" Al Merrick Flyer Tuf-Lite that I'm trying to sell...reason being that I can't stand the Tuf-Lite...it sucks...any offshore wind and it's like your flying uncontrollably, they are too light IMO and no push into the wave, the thing floats too well...I really want to sell mine, but I have to be honest...I hate Tuf-Lite, at least on a shortboard, I've heard it's not so bad on a longer board.

Quote Originally Posted by wallysurfr View Post
    what about TL2?

In tuflite's defense, they are very durable.
    last january i bought a surftech tl2 and it took some getting used to at first but i loved it. it was so light. too bad it snapped in half on monday after being in the water only 15 minutes. short lifetime though barely lasted a year. rip tl2 not lookin to do epoxy anymore

You think the tl2 was weak or just snapped because it was in the right spot at the right time to recieve about a metric ton of falling water from about 10ft?

tuflite ≠ all epoxy boards.

there is a HUGE difference between the epoxy popouts & quality, handmade epoxy boards. any shaper worth his salt can & will work w/ epoxy materials these days & build you a great board.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by kona View Post
    Surftech boards work insane! I've had several over the past 8 years and everyone worked very well. You just need to get one with the right dimensions for you and surf it a few times in varying conditions to get used to it. The first one I had was a used 6'2" JC NX-1. It was a little floaty for me but worked pretty well once I got used to it. Contrary to one of the posts above, the re-sale on it was killer. I sold it for $50 less than what I paid for it a year earlier. If it was a poly board A) it wouldn't have lasted a year without being buckled and B) would've sold for about half what I paid for it.
    Now I'm on one of the new ULTRAFLX boards (5'10" SK8R) and the thing goes insane in anything slightly overhead and below. Just got it last week so we'll see how it holds up compared to the Tuflite boards.
    Best case would be to go to a shop and see if they have a demo board for you to test drive...
    Wow Who know you were gonna say that with a IP adress like this

The IP Address is: 74.93.15.101
    The host name is: mail.surftech.com

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by WaveHog View Post
    You know not all epoxy boards are surftechs right? Peopele are criticizing surftechs and you are criticizing and generalizing all epoxy boards. There is quite a bit of difference between different epoxy builds.
    Exactly Not all Epoxy board are at the same level as a Surftech. There are some awsome epoxy boards out there that are Hand shapped and glassed.

If you want a good Epoxy board talk to LegendJim in this board he makes some of the best Epoxy boards I have ever ridden

Quote Originally Posted by MATT JOHNSON View Post
    Wow Who know you were gonna say that with a IP adress like this

The IP Address is: 74.93.15.101
    The host name is: mail.surftech.com
    LOL!!