LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by staystoked View Post
    I was surfing in deal nj maybe 4 years ago when sewage ran off into the ocean from asbury mixing in with th red tide what ever that is , any way me and my 3 friends were surfing in wetsuits having fun then a police officer whistled us out if the water bc of the sewage and I remember how warm certain spots of the water were, I guess from fresh poopoo.. moral of the story is we all got fevers for 2 days, but it was worth the sh!t covered barrel I got, which sadly most surfers don't get to experience.
    this was around june of 2007, correct? if so, this is the same incident that resulted in a 6 month + battle w/ a massive e.coli infection that nearly killed me. i was surfing seaside w/ a cut on the top of my foot...the bacteria got into my blood stream & wouldn't leave. 2 hospitalizations, 2 courses of major antibiotics, & about a million blood tests later, i was finally declared infection free.

Quote Originally Posted by njsurfer42 View Post
    this was around june of 2007, correct? if so, this is the same incident that resulted in a 6 month + battle w/ a massive e.coli infection that nearly killed me. i was surfing seaside w/ a cut on the top of my foot...the bacteria got into my blood stream & wouldn't leave. 2 hospitalizations, 2 courses of major antibiotics, & about a million blood tests later, i was finally declared infection free.
    yeaaa it was, damn bro that sounds horrible , thankd gd i ddidnt have any cuts but i still had a bad fever and a lot of pressure in my eyes . good to heare that your better and hopefully still surfing

But you saved a few tax dollars, right, Zach?

Quote Originally Posted by staystoked View Post
    yeaaa it was, damn bro that sounds horrible , thankd gd i ddidnt have any cuts but i still had a bad fever and a lot of pressure in my eyes . good to heare that your better and hopefully still surfing
    thanks...yup, stilling surfing & infection free! i feel like i got REALLY lucky w/ that whole situation. definitely could have been worse.
    just a little anecdote to illustrate what zach's talking about.

Quote Originally Posted by zach619 View Post
    Sorry for whining. I do it everytime I know.

I also know that the midatlantic treatment plants have backup plans for this and apparently this kind of thing can't happen there...

But still. Wildlife dead. Surf ruined for a while. Fishermans livelyhoods at stake... sucks regardless of where it is.
    Don't ever stop complaining. I feel like I'm one of the very few people who pays attention to this kind of ****, it's nice to know other people actually care, too.

Quote Originally Posted by SkegLegs View Post
    Actually the older cities of the Northeast are the worst culprits. They have ancient combined storm drain and sewer systems. Essentially, when it rains the streets drain down the inlets you see on the road, directly into the sewage conveyance systems. In modern cities, these systems are seperate.

When there is a large amount of rain, the systems overload so it has to release excess water so the treatment plant doesn't flood out. What results is RAW sewage dumped into the discharge area. Wilmington and Philadelphia both locally have this type of system that I'm aware of.

But unfortunately our local surfrider would rather focus on the discharge of TREATED effluent in Rehoboth, than the millions and millions of gallons of untreated raw sewage surchage entering the Delaware river from Wilmington and Philadelphia.

And to quote:

source: http://www.septicprotector.com/Delawaredanger.html

700 MILLION GALLONS from Wilmington which is what 1/10th the size of Philly upstream...not to mention New York, Boston, Dirty Jerz, ect.
    Skeglegs, i could be making this up but i thought that philly changed that, i thought they had the two seperate run off and waste pipes. I have family that live all around the philly area and theyve said it's not combined but they did say all of their waste travels to a plant in philly underneath the walt whitman bridge thats actually one of the best in the country.