LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by capecodcdog View Post
    Question for the brain trust...

Below are pictures of a 10" x 29" Powell & Perralta I bought in the mid 80's. I am a young 50 y.o. learning to surf (just started last fall w/a SUP). Currently I am working with a 9' SUP (just stepped up to a nice responsive board that is designed for surfing) and I am working at bottom turns and going "down the line", either right or left. Need to build up speed, etc.

The discussion of this thread has sparked my interest and I've dusted off the old board below. My questions are:
    1. Will this board be good/helpful for my surfing/carving, etc. (as discussed in this thread)?
    2. Should I loosen the trucks a little to get more "play" and "carving" action. They are "Independent" trucks and seem a little stiff -- although I can do 180 kick turns.
    3. What are some things I should be doing with it? Hills? Pumping through flat lots? (This may already be answered somewhere in this thread, so I can do some review)
    4. Anyone do any work with Kahuna sticks or facsimiles? Looks like a good core workout that would translate to paddling.

Thanks in advance and I appreciate all the good knowledge that is shared on this forum.

Attachment 5564Attachment 5565
    That's a sick board, you could probably get a decent amount of money for it to put towards a carver if you wanted. Those old Caballeros are pretty collectible. Don't just loosen the trucks, you don't want any slop. Your best bet is to go with looser trucks and upgrade the bushings to allow for some better carving. Check out bones hardcore bushings, they are great with Independents. Any skating will help your surfing, just go cruise around and have fun man!

wait.. doesn't anyone bomb insanely steep hills drifting their longboard like a snowboard?? i thought thats what they were for. i've ripped through wheels on flexdex, sector 9, dreggs and a couple no names. doesnt matter. they all drift like a mutha when you're doing 25 mph.

and make your trucks about as loose as they can get. you dont get the wobbles if you're constantly on edge.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by parippa View Post
    wait.. doesn't anyone bomb insanely steep hills drifting their longboard like a snowboard?? i thought thats what they were for. i've ripped through wheels on flexdex, sector 9, dreggs and a couple no names. doesnt matter. they all drift like a mutha when you're doing 25 mph.
    i love to carve but i've never really been into sliding other than on friends' boards. can i use any type of wheel if my trucks are loose enough? i've got a board with sidewinders but the wheels are extremely soft for doing deep carves. if i just took regular cruiser wheels and put them on that could i slide without killing myself?