LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Not too hijack this thread... but I have a billabong sg5 4/3 with a thermal vest/2mm hoodie, 5mil gloves and 5mil boots.

I think its probably too cold now to use that in the ny waters... can anyone confirm?
    thanks

I have always used a 5/4/3 all winter in RI/MA/NH/ME. Good booties and gloves will get you through.

Quote Originally Posted by MFitz73 View Post
    I think its probably too cold now to use that in the ny waters... can anyone confirm?
    thanks
    nobody on this forum or any other knows, only you can confirm..so suit up and give it a go. It totally depends on your tolerance for cold, quality/fit of the suit, and conditions on the day you paddle out. If its sunny, light winds and the waves arent macking, or its a spot where you can paddle out without lots of duck diving you might have a comfortable 2 hour session in that gear in 40 degree water

If you sit still in the water it doesn't matter what your gear is, you'll get cold. Keep paddling and up your wave count.

Updaaattee.. just took out the xzip 543, 5 mil drylock boots and gloves... i went to empty the boots after the session and literally not a drop came out. I was toasty despite the cold wind. Great combo for the area, imho.. im actually glad i went with the xzip so i dont have to worry about those ankle/wrist funnelly things getting stretched out and leaking

4/3 can be done..

Quote Originally Posted by MFitz73 View Post
    Not too hijack this thread... but I have a billabong sg5 4/3 with a thermal vest/2mm hoodie, 5mil gloves and 5mil boots.

thanks
    I can confirm.
    for the last 2 years i wore an oneill mutant 4/3 with thermo shirt all winter. pulled off a 2.5 hour session in mid january.
    your feet might be a bit chilly in 5 mils, but a 4/3 in NY winter is completely doable.
    However, I will say I am glad to now have a 5/4 drylock.

Quote Originally Posted by scoobysurf View Post
    awesome thanks everyone.. the dude a my shop just told me id be crazy to go out in a 5 mil in winter.. i think he has a ripcurl though and in my experience ripcurl runs a little thin.. thanks guys
    Im keeping a 4/3 for the whole winter. You guys gotta grow some balls. Its about 40 here in OCMD now

Images
    I ride in a 4/3 Quik year round with 5mm booties gloves. Once the water gets below about 48, I'm usually shivering after an hour in the water. But, I'm a skinny dude and don't have much natural insulation.

i could not imagine going through all the hassle of towel changing in the snow to surf comfortably for under an hour.. upgrade bro!! maybe its just me but i surf really s***** when i get that kind of cold..

5/4/3 xcel drylock, 5mil Xcel gluvez, 7mm booteeyz, again Xcel drylocks...drylock iz thu best rubber around period. (uv course i'm obligated 2 say that cuz i'm sponsored by them) but it's true...their shiit's uh lill priceeyer, but well wurth it. there'z really no difference b-tween wrong island and anywhere northeast uv here. thu water'z 40 degreez and thu airtemps 10...