LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

tail design

Changing fin type/size/placement will definitely have an effect, but that sort of tail design
    (and the idea behind a quad) is designed to give a looser, skatier feel as opposed to giving you drive and torque out of the pocket-- so it might just be a matter of tail design as opposed to fin characteristics, definitely worth a shot tho, just give it some experimentation riding the same type of fins on different style quads.

Images
    had a blast on it the last two days. It handled really well on the bigger waves i got. HH+ and it really gets the speed up. Ive gotten the hang of the fins setup for the most part. Still having trouble figuring out how to take high, quick pumping lines, but with the fish shape/tail width and the 2 fins disengaging and releasing on the side, it doesnt allow me to hold a high line, it just naturally wants to descend. The board is also 5'7, smaller than anything i normally ride. Its about 3 inches below my standard shortboard, so the pressure and balance points etc are a lot different.

But all in all, i'm stoked on it. I will grab some bigger used fins off craigslist just to play around with one day. Im starting to like the quads for certain spots. Maybe some day I can try out a quad on a high performance shortboard. I saw a guy walking down the beach yesterday with one. Made me wonder. The two small inside fins were really close together, so it looked like it almost drive and pivot a bit the way a thruster would. Interesting design concept tho.

I recently got the K2.1 5 fin set (thruster or quad). Haven't had a chance to try the quad setup yet (the thruster set is fantastic IMO), but I've heard really good things about it (being more pivoty then some of the other sets).

Here is a link with many pages discussing FCS quad preferences. Real surfers experimenting with different fin setups and giving you their personal experiences. (started back in Jan. '09, last post Aug. '10) Lots of good info in there, if you want to take the time to go through it. Plus there are a couple of threads discussing quads.

Also, McKee's website has some good info as well.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Driftingalong View Post
    I recently got the K2.1 5 fin set (thruster or quad). Haven't had a chance to try the quad setup yet (the thruster set is fantastic IMO), but I've heard really good things about it (being more pivoty then some of the other sets).

Here is a link with many pages discussing FCS quad preferences. Real surfers experimenting with different fin setups and giving you their personal experiences. (started back in Jan. '09, last post Aug. '10) Lots of good info in there, if you want to take the time to go through it. Plus there are a couple of threads discussing quads.

Also, McKee's website has some good info as well.
    Nice, thanks.

Images
    all little fins are fun

Fromw waht I have read

The inside foil on quad fins also have alot to do with how the board drives, holds, and realeases. I hear there is a big difference in a fin with flat foil on the inside thatn one with foil. I would definitly try a set of K2.1's you can test drive those almost at any shop. WHichever fin set you try next you definitly should try a set with a flat foil next to see if there is a differnce.

http://www.surffcs.com/en/products/f...AQUA-LINE.aspx

just picked up tri quad set of Aqua-lines.
    They look fantastic can't wait to see how they surf

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by bushwood View Post
    The inside foil on quad fins also have alot to do with how the board drives, holds, and realeases. I hear there is a big difference in a fin with flat foil on the inside thatn one with foil. I would definitly try a set of K2.1's you can test drive those almost at any shop. WHichever fin set you try next you definitly should try a set with a flat foil next to see if there is a differnce.
    yeah, my m4's are foils.

Surfboard wharehouse

Zack your in SoCal right? how often do you get to surf, 4 days a week or something like that?