LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: shark

Images
    yeah, you stated it better:

Quote Originally Posted by Hip View Post
    More like mistaken identity. Dirty, rough water, Dawn and dusk, during and after a NEaster...bait in close....all times when sharks are feeding heavier than normal and the times we have seen them close to the beaches. A kicking swimmer can easily be mistaken for a pod of fish fleeing or injured. If the shark is big enoough...mistaken for a SEAL? OUCH!

Images

Exclamation wetsuits look like a seal

White sharks like cold water+surfer in wetsuit resembles a seal+ water murky=CHOMP!

Actually there is a better chance to get bitten in NYC by a dog, cat or another human...or even a wild rat or squirrel

http://www.flmnh.ufl.edu/fish/sharks...lariskcity.htm

Quote Originally Posted by Skarpia View Post
    Actually there is a better chance to get bitten in NYC by a dog, cat or another human...or even a wild rat or squirrel
    see, i always here statistics like that, ie. better chance of getting struck by lightning etc. but here's what i've always wondered. is that statistic based off of the average person? if so that's kind of null and void for us surfers. in other words that average person probably wades in the ocean what...7 maybe 10 days a year whereas your average surfer paddles out 3 to 5 days a week. see what i'm saying?

sorry to pop the bubble on the comfort zone there, but i've always found those stats kinda skewed.

Images

stats...

Quote Originally Posted by oceanside View Post
    kind of null and void for us surfers. in other words that average person probably wades in the ocean what...7 maybe 10 days a year whereas your average surfer paddles out 3 to 5 days a week. see what i'm saying?
    I guess the same would apply to going to Central Park every weekend or once a year...the later would have less of a chance to get bitten by a squirrel...but the avid park goer probably has a better idea how to avoid the squirrel.

The same applies to sharks and surfers ... surfers are better informed about the dangers of the ocean...or should be

The stats shouldn't mean.."oooh that won't happen to me"...it should be more to put things in perspective.

BTW: we know a shark or a squirrel may bite you...but how do we know that a human being may bite?

i'll kick that shark in the nutz if he comes near me.....

Images
    "I just punched him in the jaw, and said **** you shark. But of course I was underwater so it sounded like Fubbbbcckk you shaawrk!" Haha -Dane Cook Would you rather joke.

Candygram.