LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Buying my First Surfboard

Looking for guidance on buying my first surfboard.
    I bodyboard alot, but I am looking to surf this spring and through the fall.
    I really know nothing about surfboards and all help would be appreciated.

I'm 5' 7" and 135 pounds. It would be good if you could help me with size and model too.
    Money wise I could save up about $350 tops
    BTW I would mainly be surfing Seaside Heights in Jersey

Like it's been said before... you could go for the longboard, or you could go for the hybrid, depending on what your ultimate goals are. Take you cash to a local surf shop and talk to the guys there about a used board that's good for you. Keep in mind that summer is usually small, so get something big (volume wise) that will paddle easily and let you catch small, weak waves. If you're already comfortable in the water and have good wave knowledge, you'll be surfing by the end of the season.

go to Wavejammer in Lavallette and talk to Scott

Quote Originally Posted by LBCrew View Post
    Like it's been said before... you could go for the longboard, or you could go for the hybrid, depending on what your ultimate goals are. Take you cash to a local surf shop and talk to the guys there about a used board that's good for you. Keep in mind that summer is usually small, so get something big (volume wise) that will paddle easily and let you catch small, weak waves. If you're already comfortable in the water and have good wave knowledge, you'll be surfing by the end of the season.
    very good advise

Images
    when i bough tmy first board the help I got was terrible - some teenager just kept shrugging and acting cool.
    needless to say I got the wrong board.
    I'm 6'5" and weigh 205...
    A few months later once I learned to sit up and paddle somewhat less awkwardly I went back and got a long board about 8'6" and it was a generic chinese made thing - it was perfect to learn on.
    You are tiny so you can start on a much shorer board - just try to find a knowledgable older person in the store and ignore kids who cant express themselves and are too worried about being cool.

Images
    Here is an article we published on buying a surfboard.

Thanks for the help so far
    Does anyone have any suggestions on a model or size?

Here's a suggestion regarding model and size:

Don't go for a model, go for a SHAPE that suits YOU. Like others have mentioned previously, there are some knowledgeable dudes in the surf shops that can help you out, like the guy in wavejammer. He's probably the most down to earth and helpful shop owner i've ever come across.

That said I would recommend a 6'6" fun shape, thruster, super thick around 3 inches, wide nose (more forgiving while learning how to drop in), and a fat tail for those weak mushy summer waves. Save some cash and go used. Since you're somewhat experienced in the ocean, you might learn quickly and want to get a more maneuverable board relatively soon.

Most important point: talk to someone in the shop that knows what the deal is!!!

Def get a fun shape as a first board.

what about a fish?