LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Images

Lack of waves in the South East??

Does anyone have any real meteorological evidence of why this has been such a terrible winter for waves in the south east?? With this winter transitioning into a strong Nina i expected it to be a little slow but this is crazy!

I think someone (maybe tony over at sweetwater but don't take my word for it) a couple of years ago posted something on the wblive message boards about weather patterns vs amount of surf. I know this doesn't help but maybe the guy who posted it will read this. I think it would be really cool to see the relation (or difference) in the two.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by whitewater View Post
    I think someone (maybe tony over at sweetwater but don't take my word for it) a couple of years ago posted something on the wblive message boards about weather patterns vs amount of surf.
    you mean the former wblive message board, that was apparently just toooo stressful to manage?

lol to wblive's forum shutting down, it always kinda seemed like a **** show over there.

Back on topic though, i found this article on surfline. just some food for thought...
    http://www.surfline.com/forecast/atl...10-2011_49831/

yup that was the forum

HH
    I'm over it as well. That was a good surfline article about la nina and el nino.

In times like these I paddle out just for the feeling and to see how close I can get to dolphins. Helps ease the blues a little

Quote Originally Posted by whitewater View Post
    I think someone (maybe tony over at sweetwater but don't take my word for it) a couple of years ago posted something on the wblive message boards about weather patterns vs amount of surf. I know this doesn't help but maybe the guy who posted it will read this. I think it would be really cool to see the relation (or difference) in the two.
    Typically winters are on the flat side anyway. In el nino winters winters, characterized by unusually warm temperatures in the equatorial Pacific, the southern branch of the jetstream is more active thus more surf. La nina winters like this winter can be mild and dry with prevailing offshores. This year so far has been very cold but with constant offshore winds thus driving down the water temp.. My guess is we'll see a nice warm up later this winter but it doesn't mean we'll see surf...it's to cold anyway

Images
    The water temps are more correlated to the general weather pattern. When we have offshore flow, that is conducive to cooling water temps. Offshore flow also brings with it colder air temps down from the north and west.

The weather pattern is the reason for lack of waves and not the coastal water temps, which themselves are also related to the weather pattern.

On a larger ocean wide scale, there is definitely evidence that water temperature patterns feedback on to the atmosphere. My masters thesis was on this very topic.

so what does this mean for waves this summer?

Quote Originally Posted by Swellinfo View Post
    The water temps are more correlated to the general weather pattern. When we have offshore flow, that is conducive to cooling water temps. Offshore flow also brings with it colder air temps down from the north and west.

The weather pattern is the reason for lack of waves and not the coastal water temps, which themselves are also related to the weather pattern.

On a larger ocean wide scale, there is definitely evidence that water temperature patterns feedback on to the atmosphere. My masters thesis was on this very topic.
    Nice. It's curious with the above normal temps this spring, summer and fall that the winter temps are well below normal with this "la nina" winter. Even the "pineapple express" has hammered the California coast like you would see in an "el nino" year. Maybe we should rethink the effect of the equatorial pacific's water temps and it's influence on the weather around the globe...What's your opinion?
    Last edited by Jai-Guru; Jan 13, 2011 at 03:19 PM.