LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Images
    Yeah you can get a Poly Pro with the hood buildt in . If you get the 4/3 ius will give you a little extra warmth

Images
    ^ yeah get the 4/3 then you can surf all winter (cant in the 3/2). get a hooded vest and then you got a 5/4/3 for winter and a 4/3 for fall and late spring.

Images
    4/3 in late fall/winter with 3mm boots. usually don't go in around this time until late February or early march.

Spring/Early fall 2 mm top and shorts or a 3/2 at times.

my gf's uncle wears a 3/2 year round. guess he's got it broken in good.

Quote Originally Posted by SoDelLocal View Post
    4/3 in late fall/winter with 3mm boots. usually don't go in around this time until late February or early march.

Spring/Early fall 2 mm top and shorts or a 3/2 at times.

my gf's uncle wears a 3/2 year round. guess he's got it broken in good.

It's good to know that you can get away with that in the Delaware area. But I guess everybody is different as far as tolerance goes. This is my first winter in the mid-atlantic, and already I've been in between sessions for longer than I can ever remember due to inadequate equipment. I got my 4/3 during the holidays, and a hood and 5mm booties on order. Hopefully that would be enough to get me through this winter, until I can slip into my 3/2 again and leave the boots/gloves/hood at home. At around which month do water temps hit mid 70s again?

So far this experience made me respect a lot of the northeast chargers who continuously jump into 30 degree water + 20 degree air year in and year out.

may-sept im in trunks.

oct-april 4/3, 5 mil boots, 3 mil gloves. Hooded vest underneath on those COLD days. Thats usually good for vb/obx winter. I dont go north this time of year.

if you can't decide, rob a bank and get an r3:

http://www.patagonia.com/us/product/...TSUITS_LANDING

I consider my setup to be minimal to surf this area all year. This setup allows me to go as far north as RI in the winter and still surf. perhaps i could go further, I just haven't

-2 mil long sleeve Spring Suit. Not necessary, but sure is nice on a chilly spring summer morning
    -3/2 fall suit. I don't buy a real good one, I by a mid level one, save some dough and just throw my winter suit on a little sooner
    -6/5/4 hooded wintersuit
    -7 mil mittons
    -5 or 7 mil boots

I used to use a 5/4/3 for winter, but I much prefer the thicker warmer 6 mil. Then again, I'mover 200lbs so the extra thickness doesn't really bother my already pathetic paddling. I don't think I could hack a winter in a 4/3.

I go for long sessions in the winter, and my feet are a weak point. After seeing favorable reviews, I'm gonna try those poly socks under my boots.

Quote Originally Posted by tibu35 View Post
    End of december through march - 5/4 - 5 mil boots and gloves
    April and may- 4/3 -5mil boots - 3 mil gloves
    june - 3/2 3mil boots no gloves
    july- 2/1 spingsuit - but i bring my 3/2 just in case
    August and sept - boardies, but i bring my spring and 3/2 just in case
    oct 3/2 - 3 mil boots
    nov and december 4/3 5mil boots 3 mill gloves

This is all a rough estimate based on air temps and water temps. Inbetween seasons I usually bring different stuff just incase because i'd rather be hot than cold.
    Same here, but usually no boots by June. But you gotta be careful in June and July.... upwelling.

Quote Originally Posted by LBCrew View Post
    Same here, but usually no boots by June. But you gotta be careful in June and July.... upwelling.
    Upwelling sucks - I always have a shorty in the car just in case.
    I have a 4/3 Rip Curl and a 5/4/3 Mutant. If I could only have one I'd choose the Mutant. I'd rather be too warm than too cold. Its nice to have both though.

I have a 5/4/3 xcel infiniti for winter along with 5 mil boots and gloves. For the fall / spring and some days in the summer I'll wear a 4/3 (hate being cold). Always have a shorty on hand in the summer when I'm out in boardies just in case.