LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

wetsuit- i know its been done

so i searched but i cant get a solid answer so i signed up for this forum to ask this question.
    I got a suit for xmas, xcel xzip 5/4/3 and some drylock booties. I know the 5/4 drylock is fine for 30 degree water and 20 degree air, but is there anyone Rhode Island or north using this suit for full winter use? I'm comin from a 6/5/4 quikie thats like 6 years old. Sorry i know wetsuits have a lot of questions but any info on this paricular one? Thanks

5/4 is NOT fine for 30 degree water. I didn't even know it got that cold anywhere in america. I surf long island, where the water temp usually bottoms out at 37. with that water temp and air temps below 20, a 5/4 is just barely enough. so for 30 degree water i would say definitely go for the 6/5. if anything atleast buy a thermal to wear under the 5/4.

You MIGHT be able to scratch by with a 5/4/3 up there for shorter sessions....but if you are going for the extendo session I recommend goin' thicker.

just looked at the chart again 37 is also the lowest for rhode island.. sorry i just kind of estimated. I want to be out for 3+ hours when its good not be fighting the shivers after an hour

Typically, it's your extremities that get hit the hardest (almost with your head). Make sure you are packin' 7mm gloves and 7mm booties, and a thermo rashguard underneath and you should be good.

damn i got 5mil boots n im upgrading gloves soooon.. ive been wearin a 6 yr old suit that leaks with ripped (constantly leaking) gloves and boots and gettin 2+ hr sessions. hopefully upgradin everything will work they dont make 7 mil drylock boots or id have em. i just dont c how the 'drylock' suit can be that much different than the xzip u no? i could b wrong though

i stand corrected there is a 7mil drylock (damn) oh well.. also, how are people puttin gloves and boots insides suits? i always rolled up the sleeves/ legs on my old suit but im afraid of rippin a fresh suit. What do you guys do?

5mm is fine for the winter on li... 7mm mittens and boo ts.. I get cold easily and I'm good for 3 hours.. Your feet will get cold before the rest of body...

i went yesterday in rhode island and the water was 41 degrees and the air temp was 25 with a windcill of 0 or below. i have 5 mm gloves and 7 mm booties, i was in for two hours and didnt get cold.

awesome thanks everyone.. the dude a my shop just told me id be crazy to go out in a 5 mil in winter.. i think he has a ripcurl though and in my experience ripcurl runs a little thin.. thanks guys