LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: glassing temps

If you are glassing with Resin Research Epoxy, play it safe and just glass it in the house. Just lay down a plastic tarp on the floor under your glassing racks. RR doesn't smell at all. The Additive F smells a little bit but it will go away quickly.

Do not glass indoors with Polyester resin. The UV-cure stuff will cure in freezing temps but IMO I'd rather just go with an epoxy glass job done indoors at room temp.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by shorepoints View Post
    If you are glassing with Resin Research Epoxy, play it safe and just glass it in the house. Just lay down a plastic tarp on the floor under your glassing racks. RR doesn't smell at all. The Additive F smells a little bit but it will go away quickly.

Do not glass indoors with Polyester resin. The UV-cure stuff will cure in freezing temps but IMO I'd rather just go with an epoxy glass job done indoors at room temp.
    epoxy fumes are hazardous.
    i hope your not suggesting that epoxy curing fumes are safe becuase they don't smell are you?

Always wear a respirator when working in poorly ventilated areas, like indoors. A dust mask is acceptable when sanding.

http://sentryairsystems.blogspot.com...oxy-fumes.html

Quote Originally Posted by DaMook View Post
    epoxy fumes are hazardous.
    i hope your not suggesting that epoxy curing fumes are safe becuase they don't smell are you?

Always wear a respirator when working in poorly ventilated areas, like indoors. A dust mask is acceptable when sanding.

http://sentryairsystems.blogspot.com...oxy-fumes.html
    I cannot pretend to be an expert on the health risks of exposure to epoxy, but I do know that it won't stink up your house if you glass a board indoors (I have done dozens indoors). I wouldn't make a career of it, but if this guy is just glassing one board or doing ding repair, there is no harm in doing it inside. Wear a respirator if you want but it's probably not necessary.

Sanding, however, needs to be done outside or in a place that can get messy. I wear a full respirator and eye protection when sanding (not just a dusk mask). But fortunately sanding isn't really temperature dependent.

You can glass and hotcoat with RR epoxy indoors safely. Just ventilate as much as practical... an open window does the trick. A fan, blowing out, is even better. No VOC's in RR epoxy like there are in PE resins.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by LBCrew View Post
    You can glass and hotcoat with RR epoxy indoors safely. Just ventilate as much as practical... an open window does the trick. A fan, blowing out, is even better. No VOC's in RR epoxy like there are in PE resins.
    yeah if you must do it indoors, but I would leave the room when applied.
    http://www.docstoc.com/docs/28173753...ch-Epoxy-Resin

If your doing a hotcoat (additive F) then read the above.

Thanks, Mook... always good to know what you're dealing with. Add F is xylene and wax. So if you use 4cc of F in a hotcoat batch, 85% of that will be in the air when you're done. Whether that's a hazardous exposure level or not has been debated vigorously. Keep in mind that the MSDS sheets refer to the material itself, not how it's used in whatever application. I glass in a pretty small space. Most guys do. So whether you're working in your garage, or your kitchen, you should follow the same precautions. Open a window or door, run a fan if you can. Compared to PE, the stuff's like baby food.