LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    During the flat spells I still go in, use some swim fins, just swim on the coast....I always go under, hold my breath for 20 seconds- 40 seconds- a minute and so forth, and practice breathing......on land, always do cardio, work on flexibility.......you wont have any problems getting in when its waist high, and the amazing 8 foot days.

Food

A couple of you mentioned food playing a part in how you perform out there, any protips? My 5/4/3 Hyperflex AMP literally just arrived and I'm itching to get out there for my first winter session. Any recommended meals, and times to eat them?

Quote Originally Posted by phacts View Post
    A couple of you mentioned food playing a part in how you perform out there, any protips? My 5/4/3 Hyperflex AMP literally just arrived and I'm itching to get out there for my first winter session. Any recommended meals, and times to eat them?
    Fruits and veggies.........I eat 6 bananas a day.....and stay on a good track of what I eat. Dont go pounding big macs, well before you do anything.........ban fast food from your life! I also used to drink coffee before I began my sessions........I love coffee, but whenever I drink it before something that gets the heart rate up, I get an anxiety feeling from the caffeine....so I stopped. So yeah, stick to eating healthy, and always have something for after wards, bananas are the best with potassium, and I have to give credit to Vita-Coco....finally a legit coconut water drink that is all natural....look for it, drink it, love it....

wb and you can find me at crystal and sweetwater and all over wb.
    usually ill eat a bagel if its a dawnpatrol and if its after lunch ill get a good healthy sub sandwhich. but defiently eat some of those nature valley granola bars those work magic. and drink water or gatorade to stay hydrated.

Ugh, good gods, looks like I need to stay of the crap food, and smoking for that matter. At least there is someone else who had the thought of paddling around in the middle of winter just to keep in shape.

Thanks again everyone,

Rez

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by LBCrew View Post
    Yep... ave water temp for Mon. Co. in Jan and Feb is in the mid 30s. It hits 40 usually in March, once the sun starts to get stronger. Local temps and wind conditions and your proximity to inlets and bays will also have an effect.
    Warmer weather does and will make for a more comfortable session but has nothing to with water temps. Localized winds can have an affect, but really the gulf steam runs the show. Migrating further offshore in the winter months and vise versa in the spring and summer. This all varies though with some summers taking forever for the water to warm up or winters when the water stays in the low 40's.

Quote Originally Posted by njsurfer42 View Post
    very helpful to the OP. thanks for contributing.

also, making fun of what someone rides is very kook-like.
    Lolz its funny when trolls piss people off

Definitely get some 7 mil booties and polypro socks inside. Some of us wear underarmour or the like underneath as well. Really makes a difference. 5 mil gloves are also great. The coldest I've surfed is 34 water 35 air. and 20 mph off shore winds but makes for great surf. The ocean has changed a little over the years but I often find early March to have the coldest water. But iceberg time in February is the harshest 'cause of the air. Paddling when its flat is a great way to stay in shape during winter. When I lived in VB one winter I paddled a few miles everyday. By the time spring and summer came I was paddling circles around everyone. Multisporting is also helpful, yoga, super healthy food no garbage. Lots of oxygenated, electrolite water. Not just the day you surf but at least a liter a day. Amazon juice. Pom juice.
    Last edited by Alvin; Jan 21, 2011 at 09:35 AM.

please - D E F I N I T E L Y !

I'm defiantly spelling that word.

that is definitely how to spell it.

where's that english teacher who's all about correcting us when we need him?

Pork Roll, Potato, Egg & Cheese, on a roll with salt pepper ketchup @ first light. Mmmm