LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast

California dreaming

I have 100 days left in my lease, the job (not career) i am working at seems like its going nowhere. My boss drives me crazy - i was passed over for 2 promotions. I have no girlfriend, kids, student loans, pretty much anything keeping me here other than my family.
    I will have around $15k saved up by the time my lease is up... Should i say screw it and just go?

How about you take it a step further and move to Hawaii , live off of fish you catch and the pineapples you pick , surf all day and learn to be happy with your life ,,and not the materiel possession you own.

Images
    I was going to say, for a little more you can land yourself in HI.

Looking back at my time right out of college I wish I had at least gone out to Cali or HI and stayed for a year before starting to settle.

Ummmmm, its been freezing for two months, another snowstorm is heading our way, Its been flat as hell and no surf on the weekends for the guys who work 9-5, GET OUT AND GO!!! You have no committments here and this is the only time in your life you will be able to do it. Once you get the wife, the house, the kids, etc you are pretty much staying put. Do it now while you can.

I'd love to go to Hawaii, but Iím not going just for surf -- partial lie. I would like to find work in the field I received all my education in, advertising/marketing. (Dream job is an account executive at an advertising agency working on campaigns for big corporations) L.A. is close enough where I can do a day trip here and there to hand out resumes..

I already have 2 buddies out there who said i can crash on their couch for $400 a month.

Images
    If I were in your shoes my bags would already be packed...if you go through with it come back and update this thread with what you like/dislike about the move. Good luck man

If you are going to CA, go to central CA. Santa Barbara area. LA sucks for surf and OC and SD are overcrowded. If I were in your shoes I'd be looking north of LA.

I would be going to CA or HI now if I were you. I think $15k would be enough to last for a few months if you have a cheap place to crash. Right when you get there, get any kind of a part time job first so you have pocket money and some income coming in, while you take your time surfing and applying for white collar/career type of jobs.

Are you driving there? If so, even the road trip by itself already sounds fun for me.

lets see, in california or hawaii you will burn right through that 15k in no time. Then its back to work and dreams of the next greener pasture. Take $ that down to nicaragua / panama and your money will go soooo much farther. GOOOOOO and surf and travel and enjoy, the working word will always be around waiting for you.

Quote Originally Posted by leethestud View Post
    lets see, in california or hawaii you will burn right through that 15k in no time. Then its back to work and dreams of the next greener pasture. Take $ that down to nicaragua / panama and your money will go soooo much farther. GOOOOOO and surf and travel and enjoy, the working word will always be around waiting for you.

What he said... seriously. If you have the freedom, take advantage of it NOW. Before you have ties keeping you somewhere. Go somewhere you can't or wouldn't go with a family.