LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Images
    Yeah, water quality in OC MD is pretty darn good. The chesapeake bay, because of those exact points is in serious trouble. It has been since I was born in 1980. Now they even have snakehead fish and sh** killing fish populations.,..

But my beach is at the end of a rivermouth that gets plauged by sewage spills a couple times per year. It is terrible, but luckily fecal contaminent levels drop very quickly, about 72 hours to safe levels even when there is a 100 million gallon+ spill..... So, i always avoid it.

Went to the ER 8 years ago from surfing the jetty by it after a heavy rain. I had a serious infection... so i never play with that...

2 miles down the road, there is the SD city sewage plant, and they dump raw sewage 4 miles offshore a few times per year due to malfunction... But that is the trade off with living in a city. You have to do something... Just be aware of it. avoid it.

My beach is clean

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by xJohnnyUtahx View Post
    LBCrew nice work and post, very proactive for the future. It appears as though you would like to do something instead of complain or move away like a coward, or an avonsurfer.

Avonsurfer, of course the water is dirty. It's 2011, the air is dirty, the ozone is depleting and N. Korea's got mad soldiers. If you dont like it, off yourself and save room on these threads cuz all your doing is being disrespectful. We know our waters dirty, but we love surfing and those of us who aren't weak body's like yourself, dont get sick everytime someone sneezes. You recently stated that you dont surf in temps under 52 degrees, why? does your vagina begin to hurt. I bet you got booted out of some line-ups and a Benny f**ked your girlfriend, now your sore at the whole state. Get over it, You gotta be tough to survive in NJ and even tougher to be a surfer from here, obviously you couldnt cut it. Change your username, NC deserves better.

Recycled Surfer, thanks for the info, but doing alot of things w/ an open sore or cut can kill you, like Fu#$%ng, but that doesnt stop avonsurfers boyfriend from plowing him!

And before you get all cyber tough on me and start running your mouth like you've been doing, I surf from Deal to Seaside whenever there's swell, Im stunningly handsome and answer to the name Dan or Utah. I got a sleeve on my right arm dedicated to my fellow soldiers who didnt come back home w/ me and a tattoo of your mom on my other arm (shes wonderful). I would be happy to discuss water quality w/ you anytime.
    Ka-Boom...

Quote Originally Posted by zach619 View Post
    Yeah, water quality in OC MD is pretty darn good. The chesapeake bay, because of those exact points is in serious trouble. It has been since I was born in 1980. Now they even have snakehead fish and sh** killing fish populations.,..

But my beach is at the end of a rivermouth that gets plauged by sewage spills a couple times per year. It is terrible, but luckily fecal contaminent levels drop very quickly, about 72 hours to safe levels even when there is a 100 million gallon+ spill..... So, i always avoid it.

Went to the ER 8 years ago from surfing the jetty by it after a heavy rain. I had a serious infection... so i never play with that...

2 miles down the road, there is the SD city sewage plant, and they dump raw sewage 4 miles offshore a few times per year due to malfunction... But that is the trade off with living in a city. You have to do something... Just be aware of it. avoid it.

bro...
    i gather u dont live here nemore

don't u live in cali?

Images
    are you saying oc md water quality is poor? Statistically, MD beaches had a high rating i thought. Deleware was like #1. As far as I knew, the chesapeake had all the problems, not OC. I was told that there are a few sewage pipes in OC MD, but they have emergency shutoff plans that dont include release the raw material out in the ocean. We had this discussion last year on a different thread and the guys who still live in OC were saying that those things didnt cause problems.

word bro
    i dunno
    i don't usually get sick
    except for when i'm in barrels
    U KNO WUT I MEAN
    HAHA

Images
    These baby seals the other day told me about how bad the water quality is in nj. I didn't think anything of it until i seen this post. Then my japanese friend stabbed them with a harpoon and ate them.

Images
    One thing is that gives the rest of Jersey the Bad water rap is all the stuff that was dumped in the waters in NNJn& NYC in the 80's. South NJ got pulled into the stigma when it really didnt have anything to do with the more souther towns. Yeah I know coastal currents and move the pollution North or South but, wouldnt than make the water of neighboring states just as dirty as NJ's

Matt... yea, that was bad back then. Word was the Mob was involved in a lot of the illegal dumping. Then it started to happen again back in the late 90's, with medical waste showing up on the beaches. Never found out where it came from, but one summer I was running a surf camp for kids and we found about a half dozen of them over about a week's time. Unfortunately, I found one with my foot. Had to get liver enzyme tests once a month for about 6 months, along with a few other shots, "just in case." I actually saved the needle and still have it today.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by LBCrew View Post
    Matt... yea, that was bad back then. Word was the Mob was involved in a lot of the illegal dumping. Then it started to happen again back in the late 90's, with medical waste showing up on the beaches. Never found out where it came from, but one summer I was running a surf camp for kids and we found about a half dozen of them over about a week's time. Unfortunately, I found one with my foot. Had to get liver enzyme tests once a month for about 6 months, along with a few other shots, "just in case." I actually saved the needle and still have it today.
    They isolated the medical waste spills to barges docked in Staten Island. Due to the currents etc, New Jersey got it the worst. If you wiki the incident, it states how the economny across the jersey shore basically shut down for 2 straight years, and that most of the beaches did in fact have run ins with needles. Everything from HIV to Hepetitis was found in some of the waste...

To Matt's question about why neighboring states werent affected. I guess we just got lucky. The ocean and coastal current has an abrupt change in flow over the delware bay, so luckily after the tip of south jersey, there were no traces of the medical waste. The current must have helped out and shot most of the stuff out east.

But I do recall, back in 88-89 (I think it was), for 2 straight years, in OC MD, my mom and dad made me and my brother and sister wear "water shoes" at the beach all spring and summer long. I remember my parents telling me about "Dirty Needles" up in Jersey, and how it was only a matter of time before they showed up in Delmarva.

But again, I do not recall ever hearing about any physical evidence of the needles or waste down in DE/MD, although the entire community was prepared for the worst...

So that means that the DE current took it out to sea, or the DE and MD local government did a fantastic job of cleaning up the area and covering up the story. It wasnt covered up really, but the fact that nothing was found in Delmarva makes you wonder. I mean, there had to be one or two that slipped by, but no one on record stated every finding them down there....

It was all over Southern/Eastern NYC coast and Northern to Central Jersey. Just unlucky.... Just being that close to NYC is the problem. Nothing you can do. 8.5 million people on a tiny concrete island with no grass. I can only imagine what enters the waterways in that area... The Baltimore harbor is a death trap and the city of Baltimore only has 600k people living in the city. There are 15 times that in NYC... Ewwwww.