LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

bottom turn tips??

so i just started surfing last summer but really got into it during the fall. so needless to say i bought some thicker rubber and am giving winter a go. now i have turned a few times before by putting pressure backfoot/toeside but i am very shakey with it. and by that i mean i can barely ever do it!! any good tips for a bottom turn or just turning in general? and is it much different when your surfing heavier waves?? cause i went out yesterday(my spot was like 6-8ft) and got tottally worked. it was sad. help pleasee??!!

turning is all about balance. If your dont have proper weight distribution and a good stance, your going to have a lot of trouble turning. On a big bottom turn I make the drop, take my ninja stance, and lean that baby into the wave. It comes natural. On smaller waves I generally skip the bottom turn and set my rail during the take-off.

Images
    good question

watch some surf videos and take note on the way the pro's use their arms to turn. Sounds funny but you swing your arms or I call it corking and uncorking, that will either open your hips or close them and your legs will follow. This advice is more for setting yourself up for an off the lip after your bottom turn.

Are you goofy or regular?

For example, I'm goofy and dropping in on a left (frontside) once I'm up I've got my slight angle headed down the line. I bring my right arm (leading arm) across the nose of my board to the wave side (as opposed to the beach side) this is the corking I mentioned. My weight will be on my front foot toe side rail is set. My hips will "close" and my front foot will direct the board up the face of the wave.

Then, when I eye up my spot, I uncork my front arm by swinging it back across the nose of my board to the beach side, my hips will open up and my right foot will direct the board back towards the beach.

combine that with shifting the weight to my back foot pushing the tail through the lip and the right angle of my heel for my heel side rail and you just threw a spray.

Confusing I know, it's hard to put this into words but watch a surf video and you'll seee what I mean.
    Last edited by wallysurfr; Jan 28, 2011 at 01:01 PM.

Like wally said watch some video and try to copy it.

But you have to commit to the turn and totally engage the rail. and use the power in your legs to cause thrust/leverage, speed and power.

Little side note. there is a lot of talk in the surf industry about flex of surf boards. When you do you first real strong bottom turn, you will finally know what they are talking about.

Images
    Like everyone said watch video , and take notes. Its gonna be alot of trial and error but when you get it you will know and feel it.

As told by Brad Gerlach...

Frontside Bottom Turn

Backside Bottom Turn

A nice read. You can try and understand the concepts and figure out what he's talking about. Maybe even stand in your living room (or on a skateboard) and go through the motions/visualize. But, ultimately you're just going to have to go out there and keep trying and feel it for yourself. 'Cause when you're dropping in, you don't really have time to think about it.

Another link...
    Pete Devries trick tips: Frontside Bottom Turn

You could try longboard skateboarding - might help you with weight distribution and learning how to use your body to help you lean into a turn.

Other than that, practice practice practice.

Good luck.

As soon as you stand up on a wave your thoughts disappear and your surfing instinct kicks in ... so start doing some downhill skating, it forsure helped me. And as important it is to put weight on your tail and gaz you must turn your SHOULDERS! and keep your eyes on the lip . I like to surf with my legs but I'm starting to realize everything Is a lot smoother when I put an emphasis on twisting my upper to where I want to go.

Quote Originally Posted by idsmashh View Post
    so i just started surfing last summer but really got into it during the fall. so needless to say i bought some thicker rubber and am giving winter a go. now i have turned a few times before by putting pressure backfoot/toeside but i am very shakey with it. and by that i mean i can barely ever do it!! any good tips for a bottom turn or just turning in general? and is it much different when your surfing heavier waves?? cause i went out yesterday(my spot was like 6-8ft) and got tottally worked. it was sad. help pleasee??!!
    bro love yr handle
    idsmashh 2 if u kno wut i mean HAHA

practice bro
    it's muscle memory and ****
    the more u do it, the better u get
    you gotta develop that balance and agility
    surfing is alotta trials n errors
    but once u learn u never 4get, like a bike

i quote:
    "sometimes u just tear it up - straight droppin b-turns like hot chicks turnin 2 my bod, n sumtimes u get worked like the cumdown from a week long bender" - president obama, after a bodysurfing sesh in hawaii, 2001.

Quote Originally Posted by old_boy View Post
    You could try longboard skateboarding - might help you with weight distribution and learning how to use your body to help you lean into a turn.

Other than that, practice practice practice.

Good luck.
    This is your best advise. If you can slide out your longboard on pavement, you WILL develop a strong bottom turn and top turn. Although, nothing can simulate surfing, Longboarding will help with style, strength, and technique. I ride a 37" Sector Nine and can say it inproved my surfing 10 fold while having fun and keeping my legs in shape. If you Longboard surf buy a longer skateboard and you can even practice cross stepping
    Last edited by fupafest; Jan 28, 2011 at 04:47 PM.