LOGIN | REGISTER

Thread: Road Trip?

Hybrid View

Road Trip?

My brother and I have come up with two good ideas to do this summer:
    1. Go on a surf road trip.
    2. Shape our own boards.

What would you do?

Can't decide on a north or south trip so any input there is good. Our road trip would be in like late June early July so the surf conditions could be sub-par.

Also I checked out Greenlight Surf Supply and saw that a shaping kit costed around $400. I was wondering if it was cheaper to buy a blank and the glassing stuff. Rather than the whole kit. Are the tools the kit provide that hard to find at Home Depot? Also my teacher could lend me tools from the Woodshop room at my highschool. So is it worth it to buy the whole kit?

Images
    I would get yoru boards shaped and then go on a road trip north

That would be the best possibility, but we don't have the time or the money for both.
    Why do you say north?

More variety of breaks if you head north, especially if your heading into the Eastern Canada area. I would think the crowds wouldn't be as heavy if you head north rather then heading south. I can only imagine the crowd factor at Hatteras or S-Turns in June/July. Not saying that you couldn't find a little gem somewhere that's uncrowded, just seems less likely if you head south. My 2 cents, either way shaping / traveling your going to have a blast enjoy it.

Since it's your first board it'll be expensive. If you wanna do it right without spending a ton of money, rent the space from Brian at Greenlight. Use his tools and his space so you don't have to spend a small fortune at Home Depot. What if it's not your thing and now your stuck with a ton of tools and debt.
    Once you have everything it's about $200 per board.
    Go North!!

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by zaniac07 View Post
    That would be the best possibility, but we don't have the time or the money for both.
    Why do you say north?
    Better quality of waves north and it would be cheaper then going south. U could rent a Van from Enterprise and live in that or rent a RV if you can swing it.

Images
    Both. Do both. Don't pay $400 for all the equip. Just look all over craigslist, buy a couple blanks for $50 bucks. Continue looks on craigslist for the smaller shaping tools you will need. U should be able to get everything you need for 2 board for around $200 if you can be ghetto enough... Then use some money and do a road trip for a week or so. Just camp. Find the best surf spots, used canned food and survival kind of thinking and you can swing a surf camping trip for cheap... And the amount of money you have left over from your shaping adventure will dictate how long you can stay on the road for...

Im all about road trips, but the shaping is something that you and your brother can share together for a long time. Each day. As a hobby. Its a better investment than a road trip with potentially flatness. YOu never know.

Images
    You can get a planer for cheap on Ebay . also look at Harbor frieght. It may not be the best but it will get the job done

Quote Originally Posted by zach619 View Post
    ...Find the best surf spots, used canned food and survival kind of thinking and you can swing a surf camping trip for cheap...
    What...like poo?