LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Images

Hawaii did not invent surfing

Yeah, I said it!

Wow, I know. Im not sure how everyone will take this. Since we all have probably been to Hawaii as surfers. We all love the place. The waves. The people...

But I think it is about time, as surfers and as people that we stop allowing Hawaii to claim the sport of surfing as their own. Yes, they are responsible for spreading surfing throughout the world. And yes, they were most commonly seen surfing by europrean sailors etc hundreds of years ago....

So, Hawaiians who are all agro about the waves and protecting the sport and idea that they "invented" is BS. They are doing the same thing to protect their waves that guys in CA are doing. Guys in AUS are doing and guys in the midatlantic do. They are protecting their turf........ BUT LONG before any hawaiians were surfing, or even inhabiting that island chain... surfing was happening...

but lets get the facts straight once and for all....

Modern scientific archaeology indicates, as many Peruvians have long claimed, that surfing was invented on their north Pacific coast by pre-Columbian cultures using reed boats to surf the waves. These boats are similar in shape to surfboards but are made from the reeds of a plant. Pottery from as early as 1000b.c. unearthed in Peru shows people wave riding. For those who think surfing was invented in Hawaii keep in mind no one lived on the Hawaiian Islands until 300-750AD or at least 1500 years and possibly 2000 years after surfing has been confirmed in Peru. To be certain, Peru has the oldest archaeological and cultural evidence in existance. Additionally, it is clear that the lineage in Peru originates in the Pre-Incan past 3000 years ago. It continues to the present in both the ancient and modern forms. As proven by archeologists this tradition can be traced back to 1000bc. Surfing is depicted on ceremonial vessels of the Viru Culture, an antiquity of 3000 years, where you can clearly see a man standing aboard a little reed craft, surfing.
    It is known that Polynesians surfed. This was witnessed to be very similar to its modern form by European sources, such a Captain Cook, during his explorations less than 300 years ago. Because it was so deeply rooted in their culture, it is safe to assume that it had been taking place before then, however, we cannot be sure as there is absolutely no physical evidence in Polynesia like that found in Peru.
    This means that the earliest surfing in the world, with actual physical evidence, took place in Peru. There is no anthropological or archaeological evidence for a Polynesian origin of surfing before the mid 1700s.

Lets talk about it... Im not trying to start an argument. I am just simply stating facts. And I figured that a surfing forum is the perfect place to light up this conversation....

Images

Does it matter?

What essential difference would it make no matter who invented it? The ride is all that matters.

Images
    Agreed. I could care less. Im just saying. This was a post from another thread, i just figured I would throw it out there...

I just say the difference is that HI is a beautiful surf mecca, but is not the origin of surfing. No point really. Just putting it out there. Cause I have never met a surfer, or a hawaiian who did NOT think surfing was INVENTED by polynesians.

A guy made a joke in another thread saying that if you dont have polynesian bloodlines, then you arent linked to surfing etc... I was just pointing out that polynesians had nothing to do with it. They made the sport popular, yes... But that is all.

Just food for thought more than anything.

We all know surfing was invented by Al Gore!

Images
    The Original Surfer

sooo.... what's the point of this tread again?

Quote Originally Posted by johnnyav13 View Post
    sooo.... what's the point of this tread again?
    I'm pretty sure the point of this thread is that SUPing is a disease that needs to be eradicated.

Images

That would be Peter

Quote Originally Posted by MATT JOHNSON View Post
    The Original Surfer

And from what I can tell, it's a Dewey Weber Super Scoop, not a Bing.

Images
    Good info there, however everyone must ask themselves what is the definition of "surfing" are we talking about? Who was the first person to actually body surf a wave? For all we know h0m0 Erectus or Neanderthals beat us h0m0 Sapiens to it. We'll never know because written history is relatively new (5,500 yrs?) compared to the human evolution of homids (us) who are about two million years old.

Neolithic stone age proto-humans had to adapt from the ice age thaw, which established new coastlines. Present day Peruvians still use reed vessels just as the Egyptians did 8,000 years ago which is evidenced, but that doesn't make the Egyptians the first to make a boat. I would make a guess and say somebody else did it first.

The essential question is, who was the first human to at least body-surf a wave for pure enjoyment? Body-surfing must be genesis of modern day surfing. Then, somebody took it the extra step and created something for riding waves weather it be a board or canoe.

This could have happened anywhere a human lived near the sea. However, my money is on the polynesians' parent, Austronesian peoples.
    Last edited by DaMook; Jan 31, 2011 at 02:49 AM.

The question is...

Who'sgonna break it to Sunny Garcia? I'm not telling him.