LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    i wouldnt be worried about getting sick but does anyone actually know what is in the salt that they put on the roads to melt the ice? thats gotta be getting in the water somewhat...

I was thinking the same as you, but found out most NJ beach towns just put sand down on the road, and some started using "pickle juice" as a de-icer. not actually throwing down much salt anymore like they used to do in years past. the salt is harder on the roads, groundwater and cars that drive on it.

thats really interesting....where do they get all that pickle juice?

Images
    The Pickle Juice is sprayed on the roads prior to snow and Iceing weather. It dries in the street and when the snow falls the juice activates keeping the roads semi clean unitl the plow and salt truck get out . Most plow companies use a mixure of salt and sand and from what I am being told it all natural and friendly to the enviorment

one can only hope its earth friendly with the amount of it being used this winter!

Images
    thats pretty cool that they use pickle juice and some sand too. my girlfriend is from the coal belt in central PA and they use ashes on the roads there from all the burning coal that people use.

i think the water should be ok, now im just more worried about all the retarded drivers im going to encounter on my way tomorrow

Images
    Even with all the rain this system will bring, the ground is frozen and covered with snow and the stormwater sytems will be choked off with snow and ice thus reduced surface runoff. Plus the snow cover will reduce the rate of drainage. So runoff should not be much of a problem compared with a spring or fall equivalent type of storm

The roads are the problem, that's gonna be a s**t show...especially in the Lehigh Valley

Question

[QUOTE=MATT JOHNSON;87649]I think you are less likely to get sick from surfing in the rain in the winter aposed to the summer. There are less cars on the road to drip fluids on the street and there are less ppl in town . So the volume of water used it less makin the risk of illness smaller.[/QUO

I think its prob about the same. I dont care what they say that rock salt cant be good.
    Last edited by GoodVibes; Feb 2, 2011 at 02:58 AM.

Images

I feel much better now.Im ready to surf.