LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Sick of Pipe

Sick of Pipe

Is anyone else sick of Pipe? I just watched the Volcom Pipe finals and trust me it was insane but I'm getting Pipe overload. Fuel TV plays mostly Hawiian DVD's and of course they focus on Pipe. Most of us will never get spat out in Hawaii and nor would be even be able to b/c of the wolfpack even if we had the skill. Quite frankly, I'm tired of seeing the same wave over and over. I would rather see a nice long point and watch people link nice combos not just a barrel. I honestly get more enjoyment out of the cali comps.

i feel you bro. thats why modern collective is one of my favorite movies of all time. riding pipe looks the same every time. its about the mix...airs and cutbacks

I wont lie, watching Lopez arched back getting sprayed out of pipe is one of the reasons I started surfing, but I am bored with most videos that are jammed down our throats these days. I guess I am getting old but I am into documentery style films that tell real stories about people who just happen to have a love of surfing. I recommend two: Sliding Liberia and a new one by Vince Madeiros called Rio Breaks.

I HATED modern collective. It was one trick waves the whole way. I want to see the whole ride and barrels or linking multiple turns from the takeoff. Pumping and boosting an air off a closeout is cool but not every wave.

Quote Originally Posted by instantkarma View Post
    I wont lie, watching Lopez arched back getting sprayed out of pipe is one of the reasons I started surfing, but I am bored with most videos that are jammed down our throats these days. I guess I am getting old but I am into documentery style films that tell real stories about people who just happen to have a love of surfing. I recommend two: Sliding Liberia and a new one by Vince Madeiros called Rio Breaks.
    how many people actually started surfing cause of slater or some sponsored rider? i acutally just started cause i saw guys out there shredding. never will know who it was but they inspired my life

Who inspired me??

The old standup/boogie scene in Bethany with Colin and some of the other guys. Seeing that as a 10 yr old really gets ur mind going.

Surfing now a days is all about aerials/grabs, or in basic terms, "skateboarding maneuvers" . I don't understand it. If i wanted to do an aerial i would grab my skateboard and go do it. Surfing isn't about being able to be the 1st person to do a backflip or some crazy double grab or whatever. Surfing is about the love, passion, enjoyment, and connection to the ocean. Granted that I'm only 22 and many see me as "naive or unexperienced" but Surfing has lost it's true meaning, and the Members that surf for the true, real, original reasons will out surf any of the new age aggro aerialists. Watch any of the most memorable and loved surfers of all time. Gerry, Mark Richards, Rabbit. All those guys can carve/snap/feel the energy of the wave. The new generation will be forgotten as soon as they end their career because no one cares about backflip thingys, People remember watching someone get pitted, coming out, carving the top and being one with the wave. People remember beauty in the ride and not the laceration of it.

As far as the Pipe situtaion, From my perspective, Pipe is the ultimate wave as far as danger and ability to control/tame the wave. I personally don't like watching pipe contests because as stated, it's the same thing over and over again. However, If i were to be in the lineup at pipe, and was actually respected by the Hawaiians enough to be able to be in the line-up, then that is a huge accomplishment and i would be stoked out of my mind.

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Double Over-toe View Post
    Surfing now a days is all about aerials/grabs, or in basic terms, "skateboarding maneuvers" . I don't understand it. If i wanted to do an aerial i would grab my skateboard and go do it. Surfing isn't about being able to be the 1st person to do a backflip or some crazy double grab or whatever. Surfing is about the love, passion, enjoyment, and connection to the ocean. Granted that I'm only 22 and many see me as "naive or unexperienced" but Surfing has lost it's true meaning, and the Members that surf for the true, real, original reasons will out surf any of the new age aggro aerialists. Watch any of the most memorable and loved surfers of all time. Gerry, Mark Richards, Rabbit. All those guys can carve/snap/feel the energy of the wave. The new generation will be forgotten as soon as they end their career because no one cares about backflip thingys, People remember watching someone get pitted, coming out, carving the top and being one with the wave. People remember beauty in the ride and not the laceration of it.

As far as the Pipe situtaion, From my perspective, Pipe is the ultimate wave as far as danger and ability to control/tame the wave. I personally don't like watching pipe contests because as stated, it's the same thing over and over again. However, If i were to be in the lineup at pipe, and was actually respected by the Hawaiians enough to be able to be in the line-up, then that is a huge accomplishment and i would be stoked out of my mind.
    Ur so hip bro. I agree with you tho. What ever happened to sunny garcia destroying big sunset with huge hacks and a good final bowl section. Big boards and good waves instead of DUMPSTERDIVERBRAS riding 2 ft waves and being HIP.

Modern hip collective. Who does cutbacks and snaps these days. Its all about fins free bra. I see alot of kids doing air 360s brfore they learn big turns. Scary.

HIP. And the smaller board.....the cooler you are.
    Rant....

Quote Originally Posted by wontonwonton View Post
    Ur so hip bro. I agree with you tho. What ever happened to sunny garcia destroying big sunset with huge hacks and a good final bowl section. Big boards and good waves instead of DUMPSTERDIVERBRAS riding 2 ft waves and being HIP.

Modern hip collective. Who does cutbacks and snaps these days. Its all about fins free bra. I see alot of kids doing air 360s brfore they learn big turns. Scary.

HIP. And the smaller board.....the cooler you are.
    Rant....
    The best part about it all, is that most of those kids that have dumpster divers or lost rockets or CI fishcuit, etc. had their parents buy this $700 it for them and will never appreciate it.

My favorite board in my quiver is a 5'10 M.T.B. Singlefin shaped in 1975. Got it as a gift for my 18th birthday. Iit's still got the original fin on it, and the Leash attachment is in the Fin slot in the bottom. It's pre-plug
    Last edited by Double Over-toe; Feb 4, 2011 at 11:33 PM.

Mark Occhilupo b_tches!