LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by zach619 View Post
    thats why you should take your family to NS, or HI of BC.... wear more rubber and have a safe adventure.
    i really want to check out BC, seen some great footy from Sombrio

Quote Originally Posted by zach619 View Post
    And lets all hope you dont meet a drug addict in PR, because they will rob you at knife point or worse...

People all over the world have begun resorting to bottom of the barrel tactics to stay alive... And since one Ipod touch can feed a Puerto Rican Family of 4 for 2 weeks, I completely understand the spike in crime.

And I have a wife, and soon to have a baby, and its gonna take some serious restructuring in these third world hispanic countries before I am taking my family there again. I will be sticking to HI, EUR, AUS and places on my list that dont involve malaria, be-headings from drug cartels, or all my video equipment being stolen from my wife while she is filming me on the beach, and im in the lineup.

Its a shame. But thats why you should take your family to NS, or HI of BC.... wear more rubber and have a safe adventure.
    yah. good idea. stay away from those hispanic countries. they're all teefs. especially if you're soon to have a baby! they might take it and eat it! LOL. definitely stay away from panama. they're all bad, bad people down there. stay far, far away...

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cresto4 View Post
    yah. good idea. stay away from those hispanic countries. they're all teefs. especially if you're soon to have a baby! they might take it and eat it! LOL. definitely stay away from panama. they're all bad, bad people down there. stay far, far away...
    well played sir. Well played indeed

I've travelled extensively in Mexico, Costa Rica, Peru, Ecuador, Cuba, Argentina, Chile, Uruguay, Peru, Puerto Rico, Colombia. I have never had a problem in any of those places.

I have, however, been a victim of burglaries, robberies and muggings in Boston, Trenton, Jersey City and Spain. Bottom line, watch your ass wherever you go.

Sorry to hear that man... I'll have to admit, when I was down there recently nothing happened to me or my stuff, but I always wondered 'where are the police?'... I saw maybe 3 the whole time I was on the island, in a way that's good, but I guess now I see that's not too good. Not having even a small police presence is not helpful when there are people that aren't from there with nice things/money!

Images
    leave nothing of value in your car and leave the doors unlocked.

No broken windows and nothing to steal. They aren't gonna hot wire a car and steal it. That's grand theft auto. They are looking for cash, electronics, etc.

Just leave the rental car open...that's what we do.

One more little td bit about Mexico, friend, his family and extended family traveled to Mexico 3x a year. They were aware of warnings of americans being kidnapped but like most of us would never happen to them. Well it did, they had a cousin kidnapped while vacation and held for ransom. They had to return to the US without her, raise $100,000 for her release. They paid the ransom and have never returned to Mexico.

easy solution to the window smash issue

http://www.pacsafe.com/www/

I've used the Travel Safe bag from Pacsafe.

http://www.pacsafe.com/www/...n=detail&id=18

I secure my cash, ID, Blackberry, small camera & same stuff that belongs to my buddy in the travel bag & leave the vehicle windows half-open & the doors unlocked. Never ever had a window-smash problem during many trips to Nica, the DR, Barbados & Virginia Beach (lol).

Plus, I use the bag safe as a stash for stuff in my hotel or condo room - - keeps the housekeepers on task.

Petty burglary and murders are way up in PR this year. Because of the economy and because of the drug trade and addicts. San Juan is much worse than rest of the Island but there are pockets of crime all over except up in the mountains and some of the less touristy places. There is a reason all the windows and doors have that fancy rod iron.

Localism is also on the rise. For the first time in quite some time I heard local guys talking about the cars being fire bombed when "visitors" get out of hand. Can't blame them since I witnessed plenty of misbehavior out in some of the line-ups. Yep, some of the cars being broken into are by local surfers, not just druggies and people in need of some quick cash.

Didn't hear as much, "Hey yo, I wanna...." in the bakeries and other stores. Somebody must have been going to their obedience classes last year.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by yankee View Post
    http://www.pacsafe.com/www/

I've used the Travel Safe bag from Pacsafe.

http://www.pacsafe.com/www/...n=detail&id=18

I secure my cash, ID, Blackberry, small camera & same stuff that belongs to my buddy in the travel bag & leave the vehicle windows half-open & the doors unlocked. Never ever had a window-smash problem during many trips to Nica, the DR, Barbados & Virginia Beach (lol).

Plus, I use the bag safe as a stash for stuff in my hotel or condo room - - keeps the housekeepers on task.
    When I lived in downtown baltimore back in the day during college, about once per month, Cops would go up and down charles street and put little cards under our windshield wipers with those exact instructions. It basically said, your car is in a high risk "petty theft" area, where crack heads and addicts WILL break your window for change and cigarette butts, so PLEASE remove all of your belongings from your vehicle. Remove audio equip, and leave your car doors unlocked. Otherwise, you WILL have a broken window.... They said that the likelyhood of an autotheft was slim to none in that area. ohh, the good old days!