LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

East coast views

Just curious how you guys from Cali view the East Coast.A few issues ago surfing magazine did a piece on Jersey.What ya guys think?

looks fun as hell. for sure on the list to surf on a cane swell but you guys can have the guidos!

Jersey Surf

I moved to San Diego 10 years ago and just surfed NJ (Deal) in the winter for the first time. It was pretty fun and the wave was different then SD. It seemed to break pretty quickly and close to shore but that may have been due to the tide.
    SD is better but surfing anywhere anytime is awesome.

As far as Guidos its not too bad where I surf,They mainly hang out at the bars,and Deal is about 7 miles north of where I surf.I've never been to Cali but wonder how much more of a ride you would get.Sandy hook is about 20 minutes north of Deal and gets pretty good.You can ride a swell for about 30 seconds.
    Last edited by Duck Dive 26; Dec 5, 2008 at 10:10 PM.

Images
    yea not bad over here in the winter...best be sure to have a 5/4mm suit, booties gloves and hood though.

Oh yea...did I mention Hurricane surf???? thats the best

Images
    im from oc md. I moved to san diego 7 years ago. I live in south ob and surf every day.

althought I love oc md, if u r talkin surf, its hard to compare the 2.

in the winter, I surf sunset cliffs. all winter. I choose from about 20 reef and point breaks right in my neighborhood. most spots hold 15 to 20 feet, while indicators holds 30 ft plus. I have video over the past few years. couple 30 second 1/4 mile waves the size of a 5 story building.

so the thing that cali has that trumps the east coast is really the wave setups.

cali obviously gets surf everyday all year, but it still gets real good back east during the right conditions.

but there are no good reefs under the water back east to hold up giant swells.

so even when obx goes nuts, most of the surf to me looks unridable.

its not a good ideal surfing a 20 foot beach break on any coast (except for blacks, which has a deep water channel, so its really not a beach brea).

so my point is, in cali, u can ride any swell no matter how big or how small. the east coast just requires a ton of factors to come together.

in sd, it rains like 6 days out of the whole year. we have zero weather issues which leaves clean well groomed surf all year.

but easwt coast surfers have a fire that californians lack. east coasters have a ton of heart and deidications.

in cali;i can roll out of bed at 2 in the afternoon, go to the beach a surf without even checkin the report.

there is always surf, so it makes us all real lazy about things.

east coasters have a lot of passion

Images
    one more thing.

the one thing that really pisses me off about the east coast is their local goverments.

surfers r treated like criminals back east. no surf zones in every town. shutting down beaches during hurricane swells. writing surf tickets in vb.

hotels thinking they own the sand. and then local law enforcement sides with the money. that is bs.

I had to call the cops in ocean city last summer cause some redneck renting out umbrellas told me I could use some other guys umbrellas in his beach zone.

so after laughing in his face, tellin him he doesn't own **** on the beach and to stick his umbrella up his ass. so he continued to try and tell me that cause he pays the city an annual fee, that he has "rights" to the beach. so the cops came. verified that this moron has no juristiction over even a grain of sand.

so all the hotels, and cops and local government should be ashamed of themselves for fu:king over the locals.

in cali, surfers own the beach. my whole beach town is surf only. if u don't have a board, u can't even step in the water.

when it gets huge in the winter, they don't shut down the beach. they send 10 cranes, every ambulance anf firetruck along with medics and cops line the cliffs by the thousands to watch the show and rescue surfers in need of help.

so its nice to be treated with respect. cause when all the euros and tourists are gone. im the one cleanin up my beach. im the one callin out btourists who throw cigarette buts on the ground.

we just faught greed, money and power. we took on the man himself and saved trestles... so **** all those people who infringe on what we do. we are the oceans protectors.

the ****ing marriott could giive a **** about your beach

Quote Originally Posted by zach619 View Post
    in the winter, I surf sunset cliffs. all winter. I choose from about 20 reef and point breaks right in my neighborhood. most spots hold 15 to 20 feet, while indicators holds 30 ft plus. I have video over the past few years. couple 30 second 1/4 mile waves the size of a 5 story building.
    i've surfed the cliffs for the last 4 years, and i've never seen it that big even on the biggest swells that have hit while i was there. i want to see those videos or else i don't think your wave-height judgment is quite right

Images
    I hyave about 3 years of video saved on dv tapes. soon as I get it digital, I will post it. I have a shot of the largest set I've even seen in socal.

and if u surf the cliffs, u know indicators. the only spot on the cliffs that can hold it.

and im not hawaiian, but I will tell u that the video of the sets were 30 foot faces. easy.

the video of me on the waves that day were 20 foott plus. it was that wednesday about 3 years ago. last year it got 25 feet about 3 times if I remember correclty. I broke my toe attempting to duckdive a wall of whitewater.

but anyway, im not sayin it happens often. but I have witness 30 foot surf her on a few occasions. blacks maxed out at like 18 feet last year cause it sandy. u know how the cliffs are, lon open faces.

Images
    p.s. if ur a surfline member, use lola and click on the first week in january last year. look at the bouys and the report for those 2 days. it says 25 to 30 foot sets from the visual surfline report. not a buoy report. its jon jon visual that day. it is documented.