LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: surf watches

Hybrid View

surf watches

alright guys I need to pick up a nice watch with tide and maybe moon phases (as well as other normal watch features) to help me plan my sessions.

i've been looking at some casio g-shock, I hear they're really great all around. I can use ebay so under 100$ for a new g-shock is common

is there a better watch rather than the g-shocks? if so or if not, please share with me what you use or some watches

Images
    I like the Rip Curl Oceantide. I'm on my second one. It's a simpler version of the Tidemasters. And after just checking, found this one brand new for $53. I would buy it now if i didnt already have 4 watches. http://cgi.ebay.com/RIP-CURL-A1006-A...item35afdb9a27

Images
    this is usually a heated debate, but I will once again chime in with my vote: The freestyle shark/tide watch. It is like $70, durable as all hell. Has lasted me 6 years so far. Still a beast. Its not flashy or anything, but it is a great watch for any open ocean swimmer or surfer. Most other watches are too focused on fashion etc. The freestyle watches are basic and run perfectly. I have my tides currently set to OC MD, SD and Maui and it is always spot on.

G-shocks are really nice and they have a lot of choices to choose from. Mine has lasted a long time. check out their website to see all the choices.

i really want a g shock though, i like the fashion but I also want it for the tide especially and features like alarm, moon phase, etc.

i know some watches are programmable to certain beaches, but idk how the g -shock tide works, is that the case, like can i program it to monmouth or anywhere in NJ?

Images

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by zach619 View Post
    this is usually a heated debate, but I will once again chime in with my vote: The freestyle shark/tide watch. It is like $70, durable as all hell. Has lasted me 6 years so far. Still a beast. Its not flashy or anything, but it is a great watch for any open ocean swimmer or surfer. Most other watches are too focused on fashion etc. The freestyle watches are basic and run perfectly. I have my tides currently set to OC MD, SD and Maui and it is always spot on.
    Haaaaaaaaaa!! Don't listen to him

i never liked the freestyles, but they are probably tougher than ripcurls, which i own with the stainless steel band. Its my third ripcurl in 15 years. Nixon are waaay overpriced. Casio makes a tide watch and they look pretty good.
    Last edited by DaMook; Jun 1, 2011 at 01:23 AM.

Casio Pathfinder, Pretty cool watch.Only like $30 bucks on Amazon and does have the moon phase function.

Images
    Well today I got the Lodown in Black and Blue for 78 bucks . It took a couple mins to figure out how to set the time and tide but after 5 mins of fumbling with it I got it . I reallly like the watch . The light is bright and I like the duel time / Dual tide so I got he 2 local breaks I surf the most and when I wanna figure out what the tide will be when I have the day off its really easy with the Future Tide. Wave Chrono is sweet to time sets or get a idea how much time between sets.

I think the Lodown is a nice watch and you get alot for your money.

i have a ripcurl "core tidewatch", its a stainless steel analog thing with tides/moon/range... I've had it for at least 10 years, and keeps right on ticking.