LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

NC water temps early March

I am planning a trip to the corolla area the second week of march. What should I bring? I am thinking a 3/2 and maybe boots?

Oh yeah will there be waves then too?

bring everything
    boots,gloves,hood,at least a 4/3
    could be really cold
    1 1/2 hour south of corolla,Hatteras last April!

Coldest winter water there has been since i can remember. Water has been 37-39* for months it will not warm up that much in a month. I would like the guy said above bring it all. minimum 4/3 with a hood boots and gloves. a 5/4/3 hooded would be more comfortable. Temps may hit the 60s during the day but the water is going to be cold down this way for a long time.............. Water might reach low to mid 40*s by mid march, maybe.

Thanks for the replies. I guess it wont be much different from what we have up here water temp wise.

its cold, bro. Might be a little warmer down south because its closer to the gulf stream.

Side note about obx surfing:
    dont go to corolla there are better waves.... wait, fine go to corolla. Lets say this, if there is a wave in corolla, its firing down south. Plenty of waves along the highway, no need to blow up anyones spot, thats one of the greatest things about obx. IF you surf in a crowd on a good day in obx, thats on you.

Wave quality- when its on, is world class. During some recent travels I surfed with a guy from hawaii who told me that some of the best waves he has ever surfed was at a contest in kitty hawk. This was after a 6' day at bocas.

[QUOTE]
    Quote Originally Posted by myxamatosis View Post
    I am planning a trip to the corolla area the second week of march. [/QUOTE
    Is this your first trip to Corolla? Do you have a 4x4?

funny you should ask about water temps down there, i was just wondering the same thing. i'm going down to ocracoke first week in march and i was checking out the temps, vb to rodanthe all show water temps of 40-41 but buxton and frisco are showing 58! is that possible? i sure hope so since i'll be sleeping in my truck/camping. i plan on bringing all of my rubber no matter what.
    Last edited by cresto4; Feb 16, 2011 at 04:41 PM.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cresto4 View Post
    vb to rodanthe all show water temps of 40-41 but buxton and frisco are showing 58! is that possible? i sure hope so since i'll be sleeping in my truck/camping. i plan on bringing all of my rubber no matter what.
    I think thats pretty typical for this time of year...looks like around 59 south of the bend and low-mid 40s north of Avon.

Quote Originally Posted by mitchell View Post
    I think thats pretty typical for this time of year...looks like around 59 south of the bend and low-mid 40s north of Avon.
    that's pretty sweet. i'm definitely willing to drive and ride the ferry those extra miles if it means water that's 20 degrees warmer than vb has been.

I dont have 4x4 am I SOL?