LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Buy Local

Quote Originally Posted by staystoked View Post
    Don't be mad at large corporation they got where they are from starting small working hard and growing because we give in .. mom and POP stores would grow that big if they had the chance...
    I'm not mad at the chains. If you read my post, I'm saying that sometimes the higher prices paid at a mom and pop are worth the intangible benefits you receive by shop there. There are also times you are better off going to the chains.

Quote Originally Posted by rDJ View Post
    But my point was not chains vs locally owned. My point was paying more is sometimes better because you might be gaining a benefit that may not be material or measurable.

Paying more for the same product is obsurd.
    Shop A has a OBEY Tshirt for $30
    Shop B has same OBEY shirt for $17.

What do you buy? the $30 shirt from your local shop so you feel some sort of closeness to your community?

PS - This video was a complete waste of time - but for some reason i really want to go buy a patagonia wetsuit and a sector 9 skate board

Quote Originally Posted by wallysurfr View Post
    Exactly, if everyone stopped going to Home Depot and went to Mom and Pop, HD goes out of business and with enough time Mom and Pop changes it's name to Lowe's.
    Again, I'm not AGAINST chains. I'm saying that sometimes you benefit from paying more at a mom & pop because of the better service and familiarity, etc. I agree with what you've said. The is definitely a need for these larger chains. Just not all the time and maybe not as often as we utilize them.

This is a great thread. The best on here in a while. I think the guy in the vid has to take it a step further and not say "buy local" but demand manufacturing be brought back to this country. Demand an American version of every product on the shelf. Granted that one may be more expensive (surprisingly, not always) but this at least gives the consumer the chance to support our country vs. supporting Taiwan.

Since we're talking about Home Depot versus Mom and Pop. Let's take a box of screws for example. Most likely manufactured in another country. It wouldn't really matter which store you bought it from if those screws were manufactured in this country. If HD was only operating within the US and Mom and Pop is definitely only operating within the US. Those dollars stay completely within the US.

Our national debt is $14 tril. A large amount of that debt is owned by other countries such as China. Anyone ever heard of financial warfare? We used it during WW II. For example, Iran doesn't stop their nuclear program and we say, ok, we're going to bomb you back into the stone age. China might step in and say, no, you're not or we are calling our debt and won't buy and more T-bills. You think the economy is bad now, if China did that, it would the financial equivalent of a nuclear explosion. We would listen to what they say and they would be controlling us.

Many valid points in this thread. I look forward to reading more.

Agreed with all of this. I would rather own 1 television made here in the US than have 5 TVs in my house made in China. The problem is the American consumer has been caught up in social status and greed. They want 10 of everything and they want the newest one and they want it cheap. The latest ipod, the newest Play Station, the trendy fashions... instead be happy with a few really good things than a ton of cheaply made crap.

Images
    ^ product placement... yes, that patagonia label flashing all over the place made me want some new gear too.

Images
    Again, I'm not AGAINST chains. I'm saying that sometimes you benefit from paying more at a mom & pop because of the better service and familiarity, etc. I agree with what you've said. The is definitely a need for these larger chains. Just not all the time and maybe not as often as we utilize them.
    I know what you're saying:

Mom and Pop
    $5 screws
    + $1 personal relationship, advice, time saved explaining your project, store is around the corner
    = $6

Home depot
    $5 screws

The extra dollar is worth the personal relationship, advice, time saved explaining your project, store is around the corner. Right?
    Last edited by wallysurfr; Feb 17, 2011 at 05:50 PM.

Surf shops make next to nothing on a surfboard sale. If they give you 2 bars of wax you should be grateful. All surfboards do for a shop is get surfers into the shop to buy other items. Mark up on a surfboard is nothing. Maybe 20%. So $100 of the price of a $500 board goes to the shop. When you buy a t-shirt or other product mark up is 100% or more. So that $24 leash costs them $12. Mark up of most merchandise you buy in any store is 100% or more. But no one would buy a surfboard from a shop if they marked it up 100%. They would all go direct to the shaper. So, if a shop stocks a board for 6 months or a year before you buy it, they've lost that $100 profit on overhead for rent, heat, ac, shop rat wages, etc. The worst part is that boards take up more space in a shop than anything else they could be selling for more profit. I've always thought it was crazy when people expect all this free crap when they buy a board. Usually it's people who don't understand how hard it is to make a surf shop profitable.

Surfboard Cost

Blank = $75
    Fins & Boxes = $25
    Contract Glassing = $200
    Shaper's profit = $100
    Total = $400

Surf shop price = $500
    Mark up = $100

Free leash = $12 (wholesale)
    Free traction pad = $20 (wholesale)
    Free wax = $1
    Total = $33
    I don't know about you, but the last time I paid $500 for a surfboard out of a surf shop was about the last time I got a free leash....over 10 years ago. It's more like $650, not to mention that the shop will get discounts when they buy bulk....so you can increase that margin of profit a bit more.
    Now how does the surf shop owner feed his kids when he only makes $67 on the sale of your board and it's the only board he sold that week?
    That's easy...with the profits from clothing sales. That's about 100%. I haven't seen a surf shop that sells more surfboards than clothing since the 70s.

Why are you basing this on a surf shop, anyway? Local shapers rarely own shops and unless they're seasoned and established, rarely only shape. This is a bit convoluted from the OPs statement, no?
    Last edited by Ray F.; Feb 17, 2011 at 05:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Scobeyville View Post
    Paying more for the same product is obsurd.
    Shop A has a OBEY Tshirt for $30
    Shop B has same OBEY shirt for $17.

What do you buy? the $30 shirt from your local shop so you feel some sort of closeness to your community?

PS - This video was a complete waste of time - but for some reason i really want to go buy a patagonia wetsuit and a sector 9 skate board
    Shop A is down the street. Your friend works there. The trendy logo on your OBEY T-shirt peeled off the first time you washed it. Your friend at shop A gives you a new one.

Shop B is in Albuquerque, New Mexico. Actually, it's not a shop, it's a dude who sells cheap sh!t on ebay out of the bedroom of his parents house. You order the shirt online. You get the shirt in the mail and it says OB_Y, missing the E. That's because it's a factory second and the screen printer f#cked up. Good luck getting an exchange from Albuquerque. You can ship the shirt back for $13, but now it ended up costing you the same as that $30 shirt you could have bought down the street. So, you decide to go surfing with your friend, but wait, he's out of work because everyone shops on ebay now. He can't afford a wetsuit.

Sometimes it's better to just buy your T-shirt at the local shop.
    Last edited by rDJ; Feb 17, 2011 at 06:02 PM.

I know what you're saying:

Mom and Pop
    $5 screws
    + $1 personal relationship, advice, time saved explaining your project, store is around the corner
    = $6

Home depot
    $5 screws

The extra dollar is worth the personal relationship, advice, time saved explaining your project, store is around the corner. Right?
    Exactly! That's all I'm saying. Sometime mom & pop can't afford to keep the same amount of stock as HD or Lowes. You need a specific screw they don't carry. So you go to the chain. Both can co-exist. Sometimes it pays to keep mom & pop in business.

Quote Originally Posted by Ray F. View Post
    I don't know about you, but the last time I paid $500 for a surfboard out of a surf shop was about the last time I got a free leash....over 10 years ago. It's more like $650, not to mention that the shop will get discounts when they buy bulk....so you can increase that margin of profit a bit more.
    That's easy...with the profits from clothing sales. That's about 100%. I haven't seen a surf shop that sells more surfboards than clothing since the 70s.

Why are you basing this on a surf shop, anyway? Local shapers rarely own shops and unless they're seasoned and established, rarely only shape. This is a bit convoluted from the OPs statement, no?

The author of the post I replied to seemed upset that he doesn't get a free leash and traction pad with his new board anymore. I was only explaining why that is not a reasonable expectation. Those monetary amounts were only to demonstrate the small margin of profit a shop makes on a board. Surfers tend to think that because a board is so expensive that a shop is making a lot of profit. This couldn't be farther from the truth. Profit margins on surfboards are tiny in comparison to other goods.

Sh!t, i forgot to spell check before i hit submit.

Why did god invent yeast infections? so women know what its like to put up with an annoying c#nt