LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Images

Saw my first seal today.

When I was making my rounds checking it I stoped in AVL and soon as I walk down the beach I was right there litterly 3 feet from me. I walked up to it and then it darted into the water.
    I never seen a seal this far south ever . Pretty cool and there is a first time for everything

Images
    A past swell in december i saw one while i was out there come up twice and just pop its head above the water, pretty cool haha

Images
    yeah this one was right on the beach like 4 ft from the access path to the beach pretty neat . I never seen them this far south . Farthest I south I seen them was Brig

one made the newspaper in Hatteras last spring.everything winds up there

see them almost every session in california ... never seen one on this coast but cool sight for sure

I have seen them a bunch in OCMD.

Quote Originally Posted by beachbreak View Post
    one made the newspaper in Hatteras last spring.everything winds up there
    i was there...which i only mention because i got the opportunity to talk to some marine biologist who was there "guarding it" on behalf of some organization. he explained to me that the only time these things come on shore is when they're injured or exhausted and need to recover. they'll climb up on the beach and chillax as long as they need to, then go back in the ocean as soon as possible.

i don't really know the first thing about biology, but it seems to me that, unlike west coast seals, these ones are far less accustomed to being around people. hence, the skittishness...or maybe not (?).

apparently they have all sorts of bacteria on their coat and will bite if you try to get too close, so don't go touching that thing!

Images
    i saw one yesterday too just chilin next to me out in monmouth right before dark

Saw a seal too yesterday late day. We talked for a bit. He said his name was dale.

i've also seen several of them past two feb in OCMD