LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    i never knew they came this far south, but in the obx last year i saw 2 of them the day after thanksgiving it was very stragne

Images
    Looks like it might be good Friday afternoon huh?

I usually see a few walrus in bikinis during the summer....

Guy at Betty and Nick's bait in Seaside Park posted this vid of a seal he found on the beach. From his comments, it seems to be egg laying season.

http://www.youtube.com/user/cobra7676#p/u/3/v_RAaroxWUU

Really? Laying eggs? Seals are mammals...

We see them fairly regularly up here in Northern Mo Co... I've seen them on the beach, on the rocks, in the Shrewsbury river... but mostly just fishing just outside the surf zone. Mostly Harbor seals, but once in a while a Grey seal. You can tell them apart by the shape of their heads... Greys have really long, straight, pointy heads, and Harbors have smaller heads with shorter noses. You can't go by color, because both come in different colors. Greys are bigger, too... but most of the time you only see their heads popping up.

One time I was out in Deal, early spring, nobody out.... and I'm sitting there on my board. Out of the corner of my eye, I see something pop up right next to me and at the same time hear this big sort of "snort".... actually, it was exhaling and blowing out water from it's nose. Scared the crap out of me. When I turned my head really quickly to see what it was, I kinda went, "whoa!" and then he did the same thing... he had come up right next to me, but facing the other way, so when I said, "whoa!" I startled him, too. He snapped his head around, looked at me with a big, round, dark, glassy eye, and in less than a half a second slipped right back under water without a splash.

Images
    i saw one beached this fall. It was alive but obviously hurt and must have been pounded by the surf. Rescue center came and picked it up. Poor little guy. They look like dogs with flippers.
    I also saw one cruising in the back bay while I was fishing. I thought it was a dog at first. When it noticed me it dove under and disappeared.

Seal

I heard he puts on one good concert.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Zippy View Post
    I have seen them a bunch in OCMD.
    Yeah me too. Several times.