LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Video Cams

Images

Video Cams

Okay, I have like a 5-6 year old JVS video Camera. Its a DV cam. So all my surf footage etc is stored on DV tapes that I still havent converted to digital. I have like 300 hours of surf video... The quality is pretty good. The zoom is fantastic... But its not HD or anything...

So, while I am looking for a surf video camera upgrade, mostly for ease of data transfer. I just need something that will plug right up to my laptop and convert to digital video...

So, I am 3.5 months away from having my baby girl. I DEFINITELY plan on being a camera nerd from the second she is born. I want a good HD camera, that is easy to carry, easy to just pull out at any moment and easy to use to get HD video feeds...

Any suggestions? I had a buddy of mine who has a new baby, and he has the FLIP hd camera. He suggested that one. Anyone ever used these? Or have any recommendations?

I am obviously on a budget, so something cheap would be nice too =)

And further more, while I not too worried about the ability for the camera to zoom in heavily for advanced surf video taking, but, it would be a plus if the camera I upgrade too can do both. Cause having footage in HD going forward will be sick! I cant imagine how sick that would look...

So, im looking for advice on a HD camera upgrade... mostly for my baby, but also for some surf video =)

Images
    just upgraded to hd. It's a panosonic with like 16x zoom. Holds all footage on a memory card. I love it! The quality is unreal and a 8gb memory card holds about an hour of footage. Hook it up to your computer and you can edit it or burn right to dvd.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by surfina View Post
    just upgraded to hd. It's a panosonic with like 16x zoom. Holds all footage on a memory card. I love it! The quality is unreal and a 8gb memory card holds about an hour of footage. Hook it up to your computer and you can edit it or burn right to dvd.
    How big is it? I mean, I am looking for something as portable/pocket size as possible.

Images
    small, fits in the palm of your hand. It is similar to this with less zoom. I think my fiance got it for $300
    http://http://www.bestbuy.com/site/P...&skuId=2009315

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by surfina View Post
    small, fits in the palm of your hand. It is similar to this with less zoom. I think my fiance got it for $300
    http://http://www.bestbuy.com/site/P...&skuId=2009315
    Wow, that is pretty sick! that may be the winner so far. I can swing $300 for sure!

Images
    also for hd waterproof video cam and camera the kodak playsport is like 150 and good

I have a JVC Everio GZ - HD7U (3CCC). It's HD and Hard Disk.
    I still like tape better - The quality is awesome on the HD esp. with the 3-CCC's, but getting the files on to my mac is another problem. Well not problem, i just have to spend money on a converter from .MOV to a file format accepted by my Mac.

I miss just taking my Mini DV cam, plugging it into my 'Pinnacle' editing program, dumping the footage and doing whatever i want with it. Not sitting on Camera forums hearing the same thing from atleast 20 guys trying to figure it out

Also, I have lost lots of footy from leaving my camera in the car on a cold night, dropping, shaking, etc - HARD DISK SUCKS!

Hope that helps.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Scobeyville View Post
    I have a JVC Everio GZ - HD7U (3CCC). It's HD and Hard Disk.
    I still like tape better - The quality is awesome on the HD esp. with the 3-CCC's, but getting the files on to my mac is another problem. Well not problem, i just have to spend money on a converter from .MOV to a file format accepted by my Mac.

I miss just taking my Mini DV cam, plugging it into my 'Pinnacle' editing program, dumping the footage and doing whatever i want with it. Not sitting on Camera forums hearing the same thing from atleast 20 guys trying to figure it out

Also, I have lost lots of footy from leaving my camera in the car on a cold night, dropping, shaking, etc - HARD DISK SUCKS!

Hope that helps.
    See, im happy with my DV tapes, but again, I have over 5 years of footage saved up, and I dont have firewire or anything. So I have been unable to get my files on my laptop period. I have a whole gang of editing software and stuff, im just waiting to figure out the cheapest easiest way to do it. The USB stuff doesnt work. My JVC and laptop lack firewire...

im to the point where im going to pay someone to just convert it to AVI files on DVDs. I know how to edit and put it into video, but I just cant get it off the damn tapes!

Ok I had to write in here just because the last comment you made. You are going to pay someone to convert your tapes. 300 hours? Wow man, thats going to cost you a pretty penny. You are better off just buying a firewire card and doing it yourself. That way you can select what you do and dont want. These other guys are going to charge you and arm and a leg by the hour. As far as cameras, nowadays they pretty much have a lot of the same features. What you should focus on is what type of lens it has and also make sure it doesnt record in interlace. Full HD should be 1280X720. You are better off posting your concerns in a video/photo forum. I'm sure 99% of us on here only use video for hobbie purposes. I can help you out but its better to talk to an actual professional. Sony handycam HD, small and the picture is excellent, for water or action shots. You can't beat the GoPro.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by fupafest View Post
    Ok I had to write in here just because the last comment you made. You are going to pay someone to convert your tapes. 300 hours? Wow man, thats going to cost you a pretty penny. You are better off just buying a firewire card and doing it yourself. That way you can select what you do and dont want. These other guys are going to charge you and arm and a leg by the hour. As far as cameras, nowadays they pretty much have a lot of the same features. What you should focus on is what type of lens it has and also make sure it doesnt record in interlace. Full HD should be 1280X720. You are better off posting your concerns in a video/photo forum. I'm sure 99% of us on here only use video for hobbie purposes. I can help you out but its better to talk to an actual professional. Sony handycam HD, small and the picture is excellent, for water or action shots. You can't beat the GoPro.
    I've talked to professional video guys and they just further confused me. The guy at best buy tried to sell me some giant data box that you then hook to your laptop and all this stuff... Long story short though, what i have been told is that there is no firewire adapter that is for sale that you can just plug into your laptop. I have 2 laptops, both have no firewire connections... And the video pros said that those USB converters lose quality and all these other things... Basically ive been told like 30 explanations of what I need to do, all of which were complicated and told to me with a level of uncertainty.

So I kind of just gave up on it for a while. I have a guy that works for me, and he is in a band. He has a DV camera and all the firewire setups so he can record his bands shows. So he offered to let me come by sometime and just put my tapes into his equipment and convert... but I would imagine all that video would take forever to convert, and take up a TON of space....

But yeah, I have to invest in it eventually somehow, just to get it all digital. I just have so much damn footage. I got like 3 full tapes of a 10 day hawaii trip. So, its something like 12 tapes or more. 60 minutes each. Yikes! so, i guess its not quite 300, but its a ton.