Okay, I have like a 5-6 year old JVS video Camera. Its a DV cam. So all my surf footage etc is stored on DV tapes that I still havent converted to digital. I have like 300 hours of surf video... The quality is pretty good. The zoom is fantastic... But its not HD or anything...

So, while I am looking for a surf video camera upgrade, mostly for ease of data transfer. I just need something that will plug right up to my laptop and convert to digital video...

So, I am 3.5 months away from having my baby girl. I DEFINITELY plan on being a camera nerd from the second she is born. I want a good HD camera, that is easy to carry, easy to just pull out at any moment and easy to use to get HD video feeds...

Any suggestions? I had a buddy of mine who has a new baby, and he has the FLIP hd camera. He suggested that one. Anyone ever used these? Or have any recommendations?

I am obviously on a budget, so something cheap would be nice too =)

And further more, while I not too worried about the ability for the camera to zoom in heavily for advanced surf video taking, but, it would be a plus if the camera I upgrade too can do both. Cause having footage in HD going forward will be sick! I cant imagine how sick that would look...

So, im looking for advice on a HD camera upgrade... mostly for my baby, but also for some surf video =)