LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 19 of 19

Thread: Video Cams

  1. #11
    here's my advice, KODAK PLAYSPORT. why you ask?
    -its cheap
    -shoots hd
    -and waterproof for surf

    '

  2. #12
    I agree, sometimes the pros just confuse your and try to sell you unessicary sh*t. You can simply get a firewire cable and get a 1394 firewire converter for teh other 6 pin end. Of course, the best buy guy is going to tell you, you need to purchase something more. As far as quality, its not a noticable difference. If your worried about quality, make sure you are using a good program that can convert without downconverting your video. (thats were I ran into issues not the cable). Its really simple to do, just very time consuming. If your friend has the equipment and is going to let you use it free, all the better. Otherwise, I would just pay the 30 bucks and do it myself. As far as cameras, personally I prefer to use SD cards because I feel they are more rugged than Hard drive. Like I said before, Its just a matter of doing a little research to find what suits you best. Honestly, for my lifestyle (snowboarding, skydiving and surfing) the GoPro has been my go to cam only thing that sux is it has no controls and it always on fish eye but the quality is amazing and... its Cheap.

  3. #13
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Ortley beach NJ
    Posts
    370
    Images
    45
    Quote Originally Posted by OCsp0nger005 View Post
    here's my advice, KODAK PLAYSPORT. why you ask?
    -its cheap
    -shoots hd
    -and waterproof for surf

    '
    oh yea i got one for xmas and i love it

  4. #14
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Ocean City, MD
    Posts
    975
    Images
    951

    Some interesting feedback here

    1. Exactly what editing software are you using (Premiere, Avid, Vegas, Final Cut, iMovie, et al)?

    2. What platform (computer) are you using with exactly what operating system? Desktop units can typically install a firewire card and cable pretty reasonably, and it's not hard to do at all. Every Mac that I've seen since the Power Mac (what I use) has one or more firewire ports, and newer ones offer 800 firewire speed/port as well as the more common 400speed. USB2 can be used, but typically at a snail's pace and clean/steady/smooth video input demands high speed cabling and port speed, hence firewire.

    3. Newer machines obviate the need for a firewire port because of the camera based digital format is now standard for HD. Flash media cards can now be imported directly but don't settle for a low capacity or low speed memory card. Go SDHD or better. A 16gb card that I have in my Pentax Optio 80w cost around $125 just for the card. If your computer has a side port for just such media cards, you're all set, otherwise, you'll have to use a card reader and they typically are USB 2 based. Just open the card and drag the files to a folder in your computer and your editing software should be able to access it directly, be it .avi, .mov, or otherwise. Since I'm using Final Cut Pro, and since Apple's default video files are .mov, my transfer is native from my Canon GL2 to my desktop or laptop (both Macs, one a Power PC and the other an Intel Based laptop.) If I happen to run into a variable format other than .avi or .mov, I use Apple's Quicktime Pro software, which is available for either Mac or PC to make the conversion. If Quicktime can't do it, it's not worth doing. (For the record, newer versions of iMovie store files in a format that is not compatible with Final Cut Pro. While iMovie used to use Quicktime .mov files, I'm now so sure they do now.)

    Final Notes:
    Flip video camcorders are convenient HD camcorders made specifically for mass appeal, and they've been especially successful at marketing it to young parents like yourself. Not a bad thing, but I really can't vouch for the quality or convenience of it for shooting long range surf video. It's designed for hand-held use, and for that reason alone, I would shy away from it. On another note, most point and shoot cameras these days do both HD video and still images. I bought my Pentax for convenience and ready adaptability, and have shot excellent quality digital HD video for production work with good success. While it's not my preferred camera, it is convenient and of good quality, but it definitely needs a tripod for serious work.

    Post Script: Kodak cameras typically use their own brand of lenses which happen to be plastic, not glass. You'll pay more for glass, (Nikon, Canon, etc) but it's worth it.
    Last edited by MDSurfer; Mar 8, 2011 at 10:53 PM. Reason: Post Script

  5. #15
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Milford, DE
    Posts
    152
    Images
    40
    If you are looking for an inexpensive waterproof camera that works well in and out of the water, I would recomment the Sanyo Xacti, sold on eBay. The Sanyo worked great until I got water in the housing (I believe it was my fault not the device) and produced some great images. Currently purchased a JVC HD 1080i (Not Waterproof) that works nice and I just picked up a HERO Pro 1080HD, but haven't had a chance to use yet in the surf, but did use it to film my kids at The Great Wolf Lodge, the images came out great, no flexability with the HERO though with only a straight lens, I hope to use it this weekend.

    Check out some of my images on my website >>> www.eastbreak.com

    Sanyo Info >>> http://sanyo.com/xacti/english/produ...wh1/index.html
    HERO >>> http://gopro.com/products/
    Olympus >>> http://www.olympusamerica.com/cpg_se...?section=tough

  6. #16
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Tinton Falls
    Posts
    1,135
    Quote Originally Posted by ortleysurfer View Post
    also for hd waterproof video cam and camera the kodak playsport is like 150 and good
    Just ordered one of these.Should get in the mail any day.Do you know whats the coldest water temp it can take?

  7. #17
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Hilton Head Island - OB, SD
    Posts
    2,217
    Images
    26
    Quote Originally Posted by MDSurfer View Post
    1. Exactly what editing software are you using (Premiere, Avid, Vegas, Final Cut, iMovie, et al)?

    2. What platform (computer) are you using with exactly what operating system? Desktop units can typically install a firewire card and cable pretty reasonably, and it's not hard to do at all. Every Mac that I've seen since the Power Mac (what I use) has one or more firewire ports, and newer ones offer 800 firewire speed/port as well as the more common 400speed. USB2 can be used, but typically at a snail's pace and clean/steady/smooth video input demands high speed cabling and port speed, hence firewire.

    3. Newer machines obviate the need for a firewire port because of the camera based digital format is now standard for HD. Flash media cards can now be imported directly but don't settle for a low capacity or low speed memory card. Go SDHD or better. A 16gb card that I have in my Pentax Optio 80w cost around $125 just for the card. If your computer has a side port for just such media cards, you're all set, otherwise, you'll have to use a card reader and they typically are USB 2 based. Just open the card and drag the files to a folder in your computer and your editing software should be able to access it directly, be it .avi, .mov, or otherwise. Since I'm using Final Cut Pro, and since Apple's default video files are .mov, my transfer is native from my Canon GL2 to my desktop or laptop (both Macs, one a Power PC and the other an Intel Based laptop.) If I happen to run into a variable format other than .avi or .mov, I use Apple's Quicktime Pro software, which is available for either Mac or PC to make the conversion. If Quicktime can't do it, it's not worth doing. (For the record, newer versions of iMovie store files in a format that is not compatible with Final Cut Pro. While iMovie used to use Quicktime .mov files, I'm now so sure they do now.)

    Final Notes:
    Flip video camcorders are convenient HD camcorders made specifically for mass appeal, and they've been especially successful at marketing it to young parents like yourself. Not a bad thing, but I really can't vouch for the quality or convenience of it for shooting long range surf video. It's designed for hand-held use, and for that reason alone, I would shy away from it. On another note, most point and shoot cameras these days do both HD video and still images. I bought my Pentax for convenience and ready adaptability, and have shot excellent quality digital HD video for production work with good success. While it's not my preferred camera, it is convenient and of good quality, but it definitely needs a tripod for serious work.

    Post Script: Kodak cameras typically use their own brand of lenses which happen to be plastic, not glass. You'll pay more for glass, (Nikon, Canon, etc) but it's worth it.
    Damn! Great info man! As far as the firewire ports. I have a couple of old PC desktops in my closet, but they have bad hardrives and crap. The only 2 machines that I currently have are two HP laptops, 3g Speed, 3 gig HD, but no firewire ports. Just standard USB and laptop stuff. Both of my laptops are the exact same model. Both lacking firewire access.

    So from what I understand, there is no easy way to buy a firewire adapter to just hook into a laptop. Its kind of stand alone at this point. I could just try and get my old PC desktop working. Wipe it clean and start over... but thats a lot of work.

    But as far as the camera advice, I will just print that, show it to the wife to help us make a decision.

    Again, thanks for the great info

  8. #18
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Ortley beach NJ
    Posts
    370
    Images
    45
    Quote Originally Posted by GoodVibes View Post
    Just ordered one of these.Should get in the mail any day.Do you know whats the coldest water temp it can take?
    i have no idea. it didnt get that specific on the website. i have used it in snow and stuff even though that is clearly not the same as water but other then that i have ni idea you might have to call them

  9. #19
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Ocean City, MD
    Posts
    975
    Images
    951

    firewire cards & express card adapters