LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

wildwood coast guard beach access?

Ive spent many summers of youth leaving the fam at xxxxxxx and walking to the jetty for a few hours of surf...I walked the beach and the inlet on both sides and even surfed the cape may side by the big ass bunkers in the water north of poverty. Last time I was there about 10 years ago they blocked the access to the beach via volunteers and some douche on a atv....they claimed its due to piping plovers.

I love piping plovers...grilled...boiled...close a whole beach due to birds...i bet the atv guy kills more birds than anyone

anyhow question is what it the access like now in summertime....will someone freak out im walking down there with a surfboard or what...im kinda thinking they will

my dad said there is now a dune trail that leads to the coast guard beach and you can now access the jetty but I think my dad is full of it.

whats the best route

1)walk the dune/beach with the bugs

2)walk the inlet (yes i know about the big barb wire fence that says they will arrest you) and still deal with the bugs

3)kayak the ocean or inlet to the spot...anchor and surf and give the finger to the atv guys who tries to tell me I cant surf there

I'm super familar with the cape may spots and the traffic....xxxxxxx and xxxxxxx are fun on the right swell

Also any help on north wildwood would be cool too...

thanks peeps
    Last edited by MATT JOHNSON; Mar 9, 2011 at 01:11 PM.

Images
    cant u just paddle there?

Images
    Its not a wildlife refuge area . It use to be that if you walk in empty handed you were fine but with a board or fishing pole you get fine. Since then you can surf there without the hassle of boating in threw the inlet or secret mission to eveade coast guard. But the place is real finiky just like CM and you better off going to the north end of the island

thanks matty johnson

i like the emptyness down there...its def fickle but fun and there are a few groins that break a noch better than the surrounding area...good to know i wont get hassled and I was hoping not to have to kayak in

One time I saw the north end breaking long rights where the beach seems to bend around....there was almost like a lake on the beach and it looked like an inlet..the lifeguards were surfing but said i couldnt......i'm not too familar with north end as the family usually stays in diamond beach area..if the wind was junk i usually go to CM ...where are the main spots on the north side...is there a daytime spot or all before and after blackball?......can u surf poverty in the daytime in summer?

Thanks again I havent been to wildwood in some time....

Images
    can surf there now in the north end it the surfing beach designated in the summer . Its a pretty fun spot .

My dad used to surf at the jetty back in the day and so did his friend. We tried to go last year around September/October and were kicked out because we had surfboards. They said if we didn't have boards we were ok, but not ok with them. Now we opt to take my dad's boat out to drop us off. No one bothers us then, at least not yet

Good Luck!

i beleive it is a wildlife refuge. i,ve been going there for about 2 years. last summer i went there during a hurricane swell and they wouldnt let me on the beach. i went there another time with my dog and they are VERY strict about not allowing dogs becuase they disturb the habitat, which im fine with. when you drive in the sign actually says NO Surfing but they really dont enforce it. and they do close it IF the piping plovers nest there
    and it is extremely dissappointing to hear your veiw on piping plovers. most surfers are very enviromentally conscientious, as we should be. so the government taking action to preserve nature in my eyes is a great thing. if it werent for piping plovers that area would already be like the ****hole town north of it. the entire east coast is so over developed these birds are on the brink of extinction but all you care about is accessability to the surf. typical. there are only a couple places in NJ you can see the dunes in their natural state...to me, they are the states enviromental gems. i like grassy dunes instead of tourist motels and mansoins but thats just me

ok well i feel ya on the environment but to close over a mile of pristine beach down for the whole summer due to piping plovers is a little much and poorly managed. FOr instance the ATV coast guard guy whips all over the beach and that is ok? THey get volunteers to tell me to stay out when all i wanna do is surf in the water not the. Why not just locate the nesting areas and mark them off?

Beach access in NJ is essential to our rights and tax dollars...

DO the plovers nest in the water?...cuz i walk the below the high tide water mark with my feet wet

logically it just doesnt make sense...i agree that is a beautiful beach and ive spent a lot of time there walking to the jetty and picking up garbage mostly left by the coast guard families that apparently are allowed on the beach. I'm sure they also watch out for piping plovers as well

Are you aware a very large section of North Carolina was completely closed to access due to plovers....there has got to be a better way

i guess i will have to kayak in after all...thats why i was asking to begin with

beach badges and piper plovers are major issues for surfers in nj...they laugh at us in CALI

Images
    I belive in the state of nj if you go to a beach that requires beach tags they cant keep you from entering the tide line of the water. If you go there to surf , sponge, whatever is fine unitl you deicde to chill on the beach . Stay in the water and you dont need a beach tag

10. Quote Originally Posted by MATT JOHNSON View Post
    I belive in the state of nj if you go to a beach that requires beach tags they cant keep you from entering the tide line of the water. If you go there to surf , sponge, whatever is fine unitl you deicde to chill on the beach . Stay in the water and you dont need a beach tag
    Its one mile of beach. I think you can sacrifice one mile out of the hundreds to choose from.