LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Tsunami

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeroevol View Post
    "Massive 13ft tsunami railed the eastern coast of Japan and has done incredible damage."??
    This is what I read: The magnitude 8.9 offshore quake unleashed a 23-foot (7-meter) tsunami and was followed by more than 50 aftershocks for hours, many of them of more than magnitude 6.0. Sad situation for anyone!!!!!!!!!!!
    Yeah I just read the same thinng 23ft wave ,this is said to be the largest Tsunami in recorded Japan history and 5th largest in the world .

Definatly sad and my thought and prayers go out to all my friends in Japan , Hawaii , and California

Images
    This is brutal and reminds us how much power natural can yield. Hopefully not much human life will be lost in its path. It think the west coast will be ok though.

Images
    hawaiian and west coasters still need to be on caution.... if you are in a vulnerable area, do what is necessary for worst case scnearios.

Quote Originally Posted by MATT JOHNSON View Post
    Yeah I just read the same thinng 23ft wave ,this is said to be the largest Tsunami in recorded Japan history and 5th largest in the world .

Definatly sad and my thought and prayers go out to all my friends in Japan , Hawaii , and California
    ummm?? so are tsunamis messured different? a 13ft wave or even a 23ft wave is far from a city crusher?? they must be measured different? can anyone explain??

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by idsmashh View Post
    ummm?? so are tsunamis messured different? a 13ft wave or even a 23ft wave is far from a city crusher?? they must be measured different? can anyone explain??
    I'm really not positive but I believe the wave height that Matt's referring to is in open water. That height will increase considerably once it becomes a breaking wave, as it approaches shallower water.

6. Exclamation

looks like some is playing with their H.A.A.R.P again!!!

Images
    its really the speed its moving at . The wave gains great speed in open water. a 4ft wave hitting the Califonia cost and pick up speeds of up too 400mph. they move so fast they destroy everything in its path
    Last edited by MATT JOHNSON; Mar 11, 2011 at 02:16 PM.

Yeah think of it more as a storm surge rather than a wave. It just has an unreal amount of power.

Yeah, a normal 13 ft or a 23 ft wave def have power, but with a tsunami, there is a lot more speed and a lot more behind it!!!!!! Just a lot greater mass of water / power! I was looking through some of the pics on line, VERY SAD to see how much destruction there is!

Images
    you have to think of it as an extremely fast moving tide, so just imagine a high tide 23 ft. above normal moving at 200 to 300 mph.

the cross section of waves we think of are like this: _/\_/\_/\_/\_/\_/\_/\_/\_/\_/\_/\_/\_/\_/\

Tsunami is like this: _/TTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT TTTTTTT\_