LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by leethestud View Post
    Actually, I lost the flyer to tail rot, a common problem with CI's. Im sorry that your so defensive about this. I mean-You knew what you were getting into when you bought it, its for show and for go. The show costs you an extra $250. Dont get me wrong, they go. I tried not to get all localist hippy on you, but every CI board that sells for $700 lays the path for next years $750 model.

Again- CI certainly isnt keeping kelly (or you) out of any tubes. Good surfers surf well on whatever fits their style and wave conditions, regardless of manufacturer.
    in the real world of grownups, $200 isn't that big a deal. i know it is when you're in highschool but get a real job and you don't have to sweat it so hard.

and sorry to be defensive but you guys take broad shots at everyone who rides a ci and assume they're all misguided kooks who don't know what side the wax goes on. for me, i'm new to the area and am not dialed into all the local shapers and don't want to stumble through multiple boards before i figure out who knows what they're doing because--this is going to be shocking--locals are capable of making duds too. they're also capable of giving less attention to people they don't know, or smoking too much dope or letting their assistants shape or glass one, etc..

i'd love a local magic board but until i get i better idea of what's out there my biscuit, flyer and m13 are three of the best boards i've ever owned and i've been surfing since al merrick was just an unknown local shaper in santa barbara with some kid named tom curren making waves with his boards.

i rode real merrick's in '79-not too long ago,but found a great shaper in Hatteras.it's only in the past ten years or so that lost and ci came to represent something i don't like.flyer and flyer 2 are fantastic boards,though,you can hop right on 'em and they work true,no getting used to

Quote Originally Posted by travy View Post
    in the real world of grownups, $200 isn't that big a deal. i know it is when you're in highschool but get a real job and you don't have to sweat it so hard....
    Big Ballin! Im all grown up and work 50 hours/week for a living. Dont talk to me about value, thats why I buy local. Your reasons for not liking local boards are just as lame as 80% of the negative comments you are getting about riding CI's. I dont care what you ride, this is a thread asking opinions about CI surfboards. Take it with a grain of salt.

Big Ballin! Im all grown up and work 50 hours/week for a living. Dont talk to me about value, thats why I buy local. Your reasons for not liking local boards are just as lame as 80% of the negative comments you are getting about riding CI's. I dont care what you ride, this is a thread asking opinions about CI surfboards. Take it with a grain of salt.
    i didn't say i don't like local shapers, i just don't know any yet. but i have bought enough local boards in my life to know that all shapers are not equal and noobs like me are easy to take advantage of.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by LBCrew View Post
    The guy's boards are great. Now it's up to you to pick the right one for you, for where you surf... he's got plenty to chose from.

lol, that's the hard part!!!

Quote Originally Posted by travy View Post
    i didn't say i don't like local shapers, i just don't know any yet. but i have bought enough local boards in my life to know that all shapers are not equal and noobs like me are easy to take advantage of.

There is plenty of info on this forum to get you started.

As far as CIs go, the boards are fine, I just think the local shaper can do it better. AM is non-typical of most shapers in that he has ambition and a sound business mind. I'm not big on the new Burton surfboards tho.

I also think most (but not all) people around here who buy CIs do so because it is the trendy thing to do (same with Firewires). There are guys who rip on them but mostly I see CI boards with rich beginners and intermediate surfers in our area.

Good surfers surf well on whatever fits their style and wave conditions, regardless of manufacturer.
    I used to get a kick out of saying, "Al Merrick don't help ME surf." That was back when I thought I was good, and riding my own shapes.... Ha! Now I look around and see some of the younger gen doing sh!t that makes my back hurt just watching.

Quote Originally Posted by aka pumpmaster View Post
    There is plenty of info on this forum to get you started.

As far as CIs go, the boards are fine, I just think the local shaper can do it better. AM is non-typical of most shapers in that he has ambition and a sound business mind. I'm not big on the new Burton surfboards tho.

I also think most (but not all) people around here who buy CIs do so because it is the trendy thing to do (same with Firewires). There are guys who rip on them but mostly I see CI boards with rich beginners and intermediate surfers in our area.
    the mid atlantic and northeast has a lot of shapers and it's a bit overwhelming. the guys that post on here do seem to know their stuff.

and the thing about rich beginners is they sell their boards cheap and in good condition. got my flyer practically unridden for $400 with a bag.

9. Good boards
    but
    Way overpriced

/thread

this is no way a smartass comment or meant to instigate. but genuinely curious is al merrick himself surfs anymore. i have never seen or heard footage and my research showed very little. i know that he is very influenced by his team and its great that he uses that rider feedback so well. he obviously makes incredible surfboards, but does he ride them himself?