LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    merrick and lost are for people who want to be cool and surf like other people and be like other people

Quote Originally Posted by beachbreak View Post
    merrick and lost are for people who want to be cool and surf like other people and be like other people
    you're such a rebel! i think i'm selling all my ci's to be just like you! can we get a pic, shredder?

Dumpster diver and White Diamond are two completely different boards. Same concept but that concept has been around forever. There where no blueprints of the dimensions that Dane took photos of on his bowtie camera and brought them back to Al Merrick and said "I got the plans"

I have said it a few times on this forum...I love CI's foils...real smooth and even. Great stuff that has been refined and refined! Personally, I have had a few CIs...2 MSFs, 1 MSFG2, and a Proton...liked 'em all at one point or another, but all were bought used and could never justify buying a new one. Flat out they're overpriced...

In my opinion, the problem with CI is that they're a west coast company pumping out boards for a west coast coast type of surfer--only 1 board in their line even speaks to/about east coast waves and wave types--not saying that they only work on one coast, but our geography is quite different. Local shapers get it...they surf our fickle conditions and know what works---you're not dealing with only an order form...typically you can find someone local enough to talk to about your shape and design..what you're lookign for, will a straight single or just a double benefit you,etc.

As for the issue of using similar type of technologies and such (bottom contours, etc.), the problem with this type of industry is that it is apprentice based and incredibly small. Cross over is going to happen everywhere and refinement is going to occur...unless whatever you are doing is part of your branding...realistically, haven't seen much issue with this yet. Even the Dane/WD issue was moreso a contractual issue...bottom line the Dumpster Diver is nothing like the WD.
    Last edited by live4truth; Mar 17, 2011 at 12:59 PM.

CI makes the best pop-out on the market. Way overpriced, but i guess they have to be with a payroll like this http://www.cisurfboards.com/team.asp

If your a pro, you get a hand-shaped board from Al himself. You can sit in the bay with him and tell him which direction to sand. If you are ... you and I... you can buy a very nice CNC copy that was glassed by some migrant workers and shipped to your local franchise surf shop. Iv paid the $7something for a new flyer, and I really liked it. I have paid a lot less for locally made boards that are as good or better, in my humble opinion.
    Last edited by leethestud; Mar 17, 2011 at 01:18 PM.

travy,i'm not a rebel,or a shredder,so you can sell your ci's,it won't make you like me.sorry if it bothers you i don't want to be or surf like other people

Quote Originally Posted by leethestud View Post
    CI makes the best pop-out on the market. Way overpriced, but i guess they have to be with a payroll like this http://www.cisurfboards.com/team.asp

If your a pro, you get a hand-shaped board from Al himself. You can sit in the bay with him and tell him which direction to sand. If you are ... you and I... you can buy a very nice CNC copy that was glassed by some migrant workers and shipped to your local franchise surf shop. Iv paid the $7something for a new flyer, and I really liked it. I have paid a lot less for locally made boards that are as good or better, in my humble opinion.
    so sounds like the 'migrant worker' did a great job for you?

there are some valid points made against buying a ci but i swear most of the criticisms make no sense and are completely uninformed. if you don't understand why they're great boards, you probably shouldn't comment on them.

Quote Originally Posted by beachbreak View Post
    travy,i'm not a rebel,or a shredder,so you can sell your ci's,it won't make you like me.sorry if it bothers you i don't want to be or surf like other people
    unless you're riding an alaia or a garbage can lid or something, you're surfing like other people, bruh.

Quote Originally Posted by njsurfer42 View Post
    ...everyone borrows from everyone else. that's how progression occurs.... that's how things work in surfing...
    True. I think your post nailed it. And Merrick has done exactly that with great skill, precision, and creativity. People question his creativity and innovation. But creativity isn't just creating something new. It's also the creative application of things that already exist. I've only bought one Al Merrick board in my life. Great board. But I've examined hundreds if not thousands of them.... and I mean I studied them almost in an obsessive/compulsive way. From both a design and craftsman's perspective, his boards are brilliant. No question about it. Nothing over the top whacky. No miracle "next great thing" faddishness. But very complex and cohesive elements of design brought together in a synergistic fashion to create a board that has an intended purpose.

Slick marketing? Luck? Divine intervention? Whatever, man. The guy's boards are great. Now it's up to you to pick the right one for you, for where you surf... he's got plenty to chose from.
    Last edited by LBCrew; Mar 17, 2011 at 01:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by travy View Post
    so sounds like the 'migrant worker' did a great job for you?

there are some valid points made against buying a ci but i swear most of the criticisms make no sense and are completely uninformed. if you don't understand why they're great boards, you probably shouldn't comment on them.
    Actually, I lost the flyer to tail rot, a common problem with CI's. Im sorry that your so defensive about this. I mean-You knew what you were getting into when you bought it, its for show and for go. The show costs you an extra $250. Dont get me wrong, they go. I tried not to get all localist hippy on you, but every CI board that sells for $700 lays the path for next years $750 model.

Again- CI certainly isnt keeping kelly (or you) out of any tubes. Good surfers surf well on whatever fits their style and wave conditions, regardless of manufacturer.