LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Quote Originally Posted by SCislander View Post
    I have lived and surfed on Hilton Head Island for 22 years. The reason I havent replied is that I have been in Melbourne Fl. surfing. I started surfing on North Forest Beach which has a good sand break near Jacana St. But you have to know someone who lives there to park. The rich own it all! The most popular break is Burkes because it is free to park and has the folly twisting by it to create another sand break. We usually have 2-3 foot swells with larger sets in storms. We also have sand banks surrounding the island that break up the good swell before it hits us. Our biggest problem is the tides. We are so shallow and have 8 foot tidal changes which create their own swells. Problem is that if the tides not coming in - it is flat - even on good days. So we have only a 2-3 hr. window to surf. Too bad if high tides are in the dark! We also have Hunting Island to the norht and Tybee to the south. I dont know why everybody is talking Folly Island and Myrtle Beach - they are as alien to people down south here as California or Hawaii. Hell, Myrtle B. is probaly 400 miles away. Dont know - never been there. We live closer to Savannnah. We go on day trips to Jacksonville which is usually firing. If you come here - bring a long board! If you play golf - STAY AWAY! We have enough riche snobs not allowing us access to our beaches! And to the guy who said there are only 20 surfers on HHI - needs to come here.
    There are app. 350 surfers on this island I would say.
    Sorry! Iwas only there for a week. I saw the same dudes every day. thats where my 20 surfers came from. As far as the guy that was saying "don't talk about secret spots or your dead" I never have in my entire life concerned myself with that. I guess I like a good fight too!

Yeah I've lived here for 20 years and to be honest, aside from the gulf, SC, GA is probably the most flat in all of the US. I cannot wait until I finish college and get the hell out.

Images
    What the hell are they talking aboot we get making swells everyday

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by sandblasters View Post
    What the hell are they talking aboot we get making swells everyday
    No doubt, where on earth did you find this thread? Coming up from the ashes. It was interesting to read this thread again three years later, now that I actually made the move. Interesting to see the state of this community and how things "used to be here". And when we posted the "everyone's hello thread", man this place was a different planet in 2009. Ya know, people actually talking about surfing, sharing stoke, being respectful.

But with regards to HHI, Everything people said was pretty spot on. About the tides, the Gaskin banks. The plantations. And the few actual names that were mentioned, I actually know now personally. Surfed with John yesterday in relative flatness but the tide gave us just enough juice to get the logs up and running. John is indeed a "killer dude", can't wait to get another board from him. He shared some pretty cool ideas with me.

Images
    Hey Zach, where you been mang?

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by seldom seen View Post
    Hey Zach, where you been mang?
    Lurking =)

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by zach619 View Post
    Lurking =)
    Dude I love lurking around and being creepy at night.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by seldom seen View Post
    Dude I love lurking around and being creepy at night.
    Haha. How ya been? Able to get out in that ghost swell? We didn't get a lick of it down here, although the brewmaster said he scored up in chucktown. Been grovelling around in the mush mush waiting for the next hype train.