LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Images

Hilton Head Island.

I have some family on Hilton Head Island, SC. More of our family is now re-locating there as well. I have looked up the surf spots on HHI and done some research about the beaches. It looks pretty shallow with random sand bars. Usually mushy windswell from what I read and some occasional juice from fall storms...

Does Hilton Head break on a normal basis (by SC standards). I understand that folly catches the most swell down there and Myrtle has a good angle facing the SE which picks up sometimes...

But does hilton head break the way average S.C. does? I am just curious. Some of our family used to live with us in San Diego. And they moved there and say they still surf quite often. I am just wonder what kind of waves are over there.

If anyone is familiar with the area, id like to hear anything you may be able to say.

All of my friends who go to HHI go there to golf.

I've never surfed HH but I've heard it sucks. I learned to surf while living in Myrtle and then surfed Pawleys Island for almost 10 years after that- HH is supposed to be pretty damn bad comparatively & more on par with Tybee Island GA I think. That said every dog has it's day and everything in SC is going to be "the suck" after living in SD- when it is fun/rideable the crowds probobly aren't bad-

I wouldn't have chimed in having never been there but nobody else was helping at all

oh yeah one more thing- congratulations on having a rich family
    Last edited by Bronze Whaler; Mar 28, 2011 at 09:47 PM.

Hey I've been surfing between Folly myrtle and hilton all my life. Folly is where I live and its deff the best. Hilton pretty much sucks and myrlte isnt much better. Hilton is really mushy too but you could get some good longboard days and probably use a fish for a fun shortboard day but folly is about an hour away from hilton head so its prob worth the drive on days that the swell hits us.

Hhi

That Folly Girl is pretty much right on; Folly is about the best on the SC coast and isn't too far from HHI (although neither is N. Florida). I live on HHI and generally look longingly at my shorty while strapping the longboard to the roof my car...then I go surf. Maybe I'm just getting old, but if I can ride it I'm probably having fun. HHI sucks by rate of comparison, and there's Gaskin Banks just offshore, which helps fuel the *****ing about lousy conditions. That said, there are plenty of days with knee to stomach high slow rollers and pasty Ohioans in need of some up close and personal local flavor.

Images
    Thanks for the info. Anyone have a rundown on the reasoning behind the folly area getting so much better then the rest of the coast? From the aerial google images, the offshore bank looks like its about the same as the rest of SC. I see that the little island to the south of Folly aims more north, so it looks like quite a few swell angles could intersect into that zone, pushing the level of surf up... Is folly just way deep right off shore? It doesnt look to be from the overheads... But i assume the southern island sucks some swell up and traps it along there....

But with that theory in mind, I would also assume that Hunting Island (North of HHI) would kind of have the same swell trapping effect since the island to the north is more east facing... Hunting Island has more of a E/NE angle with an island right above it. I mean, it looks like a similar setup to folly... Maybe with a boat, there is some surf up on the north side of Hunting Island

Im just curious about this whole folly thing. I was tracking swell last week, and every other spot in the entire state literally recorded "FLAT", while folly for 3 straight days was registered at 2-4 ft.... I kept looking at the swell angles and stuff, but I couldnt figure out why everywhere else was literally flat. I mean, i assume its all the contours on the sea floor.

Anyone know why folly is such a stand out compared to the rest of the coast?

Images
    Oh, and a few people told me about a spot (well known) on the north end of the island (HHI) that actually picks up a swell when its in the area while the rest of the island is ankle high. Nto sure if its the tide, or waterway to the north, but they said that if there is swell, that is pretty much the place to be.

Images
    My advice for that area is leave your board at home and pack your golf clubs.

I went there for a week. Had some 5 ft surf one day. The forecast is showing some 9.2 ft surf for next week. Wish I was there for that

Quote Originally Posted by zach619 View Post
    Oh, and a few people told me about a spot (well known) on the north end of the island (HHI) that actually picks up a swell when its in the area while the rest of the island is ankle high. Nto sure if its the tide, or waterway to the north, but they said that if there is swell, that is pretty much the place to be.
    That place is Burkes Beach.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ozark caveman View Post
    That place is Burkes Beach.
    Correct. Its really the only notable spot on any map down there. I just didn't want to ruffle any local feathers. I guess its obviously no secret =)

But yeah, a couple buddies told me that when swell arrives on HHI, the gaskin banks etc kill quiet a bit of power as the swells come in. So they said when swell is there, 99% of the island can still be ankle high. And then you get to Burkes, and there is a decent (chest high) wave. I looked at google maps, and from the photo they took, it looks like there are waves breaking at burkes, and literally not a ripple throughout the whole rest of the island....

I knew no one with experience there would come out and tell me that HHI is the pipeline of the east coast and gets incredible or anything. I just have heard from some guys I know that they have caught fun swell down on HHI, while others have told me more of a "There is never anything there" kind of thing....

I guess I will have to hope Burkes will pick up some swell throughout my visits...

Stoney: I for SURE am bringing the clubs... That place is SICK for golf... too bad the cheapest green fees down there are like $150... CRAZY! and that is for the cheap, low budget courses... Harbour Town and all those PGA courses are like $300+ for 18 holes!!!!

I currently play Torrey Pines South for $36!!!! HHI is freakin expensive to golf!