LOGIN | REGISTER

Thread: Question

Question

i was hoping some of you on here could help me. i started surfing about 4 summers ago on a longboard then the next year moved up to a 7'4 funboard. ive ridden a few of my friends short boards occasially but really liked my one friends fish. im ready to make the transition to one of those but dont really know what to get and or what size would be best. i am 5'9" and weigh 165. any help/ guidance would be great

If you really liked your friend's fish, why not get something similar. Do you know what the dimensions were? Fin setup?

IMO If your coming off a longboard and a funboard, you could go with something meaty like a 5'10" x 2.75 x 21 fish shape. That will provide you plenty of float and be a nice transition from your funboard that you are used to.

Buy my 6'2x18.75x2.31 UM Quadra flight 600!
    $175 - Minor nose damage, repaired and good to go!
    Last edited by Scobeyville; Mar 28, 2011 at 10:25 PM. Reason: UUUUUUUUU

Images
    Sorry Scobey, I have to agree with shacked's opinion. Hey, it just so happens i have a BRAND NEW 5-10 x 2.85 x 21.5 fish for sale for a mere $350...

Images
    can't say i agree with either of you, by the way I do have a 6'8x19x2.5 t patterson for sale!!!

Its time to become a man, get a 6'2" shorty with squash tail. By hurricane season you will thank me...go for it

im not going to buy any of your boards sorry guys

im just looking at what dimensions and brands i should be looking at

Quote Originally Posted by shackedNJ View Post
    IMO If your coming off a longboard and a funboard, you could go with something meaty like a 5'10" x 2.75 x 21 fish shape. That will provide you plenty of float and be a nice transition from your funboard that you are used to.
    ^There ya go foam is your friend, don't be afraid of it.

i love how whenever someone posts up a thread like this, there's always someone who basically ignores everything the OP said & tries to get them to buy their potatochip shortboard/rnf/longboard/hpsb even tho the board they're selling is clearly not at all suitable to, nor close to what the OP is looking for or asked about.

I don't know what kind of fish you're talking about, but if you liked what you rode, stick with that. You didn't say your age, fitness level, or where you surf. If "88" is the year you were born, that would make you around 23?

If that's about right I think 21 wide is your max, and 2 3/4 is a bit thick. If you're 5'9 young and fit, coming off a bigger board, you could go with a thickly foiled 5'10 x 20 1/2 x 2 5/8 retro fish...flat rocker, down rails deep swallow. Or... go with a "modern fish" which is a cross between a shortboard and a fish: 6'0-6'2 x 19 3/4-20 x 2 1/2 relaxed rocker, psb bottom, medium modern rails, thruster or quad setup.
    Last edited by LBCrew; Mar 29, 2011 at 01:09 PM.