LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Images

need some help anyonee

ok so even though im only 19 i love to surf and have to make everything else revolve around it as im sure many of you guys do as well. my question is what jobs do you guys have and or careers that allow you to surf as much as possible( before, in between, after) and also pay a decent amount. im just trying to figure out and plan ahead and get some advice so surfing can always be part of my life as much as possible!

drug dealer!

Images
    Im actually planning on going back to school to get my teaching certificate. Even though the job market for teachers is rough right now once youre in the benefits are pretty sick. Good pay and you can beat those hours 8-3 or so during the weekdays allows for sessions before or after and plus summers off and lots of breaks allows time to take trips.

Hopefully the job market gets a little better within the next year or so and Ill be able to find a job!

Images
    yea thats for sure but idk if i could deal with all those lil f******. maybe kindergarden but once they start back crazy thats it haha. teaching is definitely a good choice if you enjoy it

The guys I know who get the most water time, and still make a living, work out of a "home office" or are private contractors. Bartenders get do ok too... Public education (my career) is not all it's cracked up to be. As we all know, summers are flat compared to the other three seasons, and that's when you work. Many times I check the surf on the way to school and see glassy surf and empty lineups. So it's afternoons and weekends... and the occasional, strategic sick day.
    Last edited by LBCrew; Mar 29, 2011 at 12:05 AM.

open a restaurant or bar in a shore town. work ur ass off all summer...and close down after labor day weekend and surf your brains out until memorial day

Images
    any job is a good job as long as your getting paid. That said, its all about location, location, location. If your a teacher or a contractor and live 1 hour away your not going to surf much. winter time is hard too with the days being so short. however, if you live on the beach, no matter what you do, your going to surf any time you want. Now if you live and work on the beach, then sheeeeet brother you got it made. nothing beats a lunchtime session
    Last edited by DaMook; Mar 29, 2011 at 12:43 AM.

DaMook nailed it, it doesn't matter what you end up doing, it matters where. I did the corporate shirt and tie, 8-5 thing for years, which sucked BUT it was literally 5 mins from the beach. I never missed a swell working there. I snuck in dawn patrols, lunch time sessions and after work sessions all the time. Once you put in your time, move up the ladder of a company or start your own thing, then you will have more and more freedom with your schedule down the road.

Images
    I have to agree Its all about location. I am a Diesel Mechianc for a living I work noon to 8:30pm plus a 45min commute each way aswell. I have weekend off 2 weeks paid vac and 2 weeks sick time. I also get holidays off aswell . I get to hit dawn patrols as offten as I can but the post work session is out for me . So morning and weekends are my only time I can surf.

Your 19 dont worry about making a ton of money Have fun surf . Get a job and a restuant or some ****ty shop on the boardwalk and work nights so u can chill at the beach and surf all day

Work for yourself.

I am a freelance web developer, and I work from home. Right now I live 3 hours from the beach, but I still make it out every other week (when the waves justify the drive time). If I lived closer to the beach, I'd be able to go out every single day. Why? Because if someone asks, I'm "in a meeting."

With the surf reports on this website, I can see good surf (likely) coming a few days in advance, and then I just move my entire schedule around to make it to the beach. It's worked so far this winter/spring.

Besides, there is so much work in the web industry (especially if you can program) that it is obscene. I literally turn down job offers on a weekly basis, mainly because I'd rather have less security working for myself, so that I can have more freedom to do things like make it to the beach on a Friday afternoon without asking someone first.

Of course... it's easier said than done...

EDIT: forgot to mention - the best part about making websites is that I don't necessarily ever have to see my clients. Ever. So I can work anywhere in the world, and it doesn't matter. Meaning you can live near the beach, and not necessarily be dependent on the local economy (which can be seasonal).