LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Images

Vintage Surfboards on History Channel

Anyone Catch "Pickers" on History??? I never really watched the show til tonight they were in California and they found some Vintage Surfboards and took them to be apraised.

Pretty cool show I guess they should have gotten a second opinion on the boards. The Vintage Surfboard Expert wanst really right about one board . Pass a Pop out Plasitc Fantastic as a original out of the HB Shop

2. Yeah I saw that too.

They paid like 2600 for 3 boards and 2 of them didn't even look that nice.

I don't think they knew enough about surfboards to not get ripped off.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Kenny Powers View Post
    Yeah I saw that too.

They paid like 2600 for 3 boards and 2 of them didn't even look that nice.

I don't think they knew enough about surfboards to not get ripped off.
    Yeah the plastic fantastic is a pop out . I have one out of the Huntington Beach Shop and they never came with Leash Plugs they very rarely has multi color in them .

sounds like it was a really cool show, regardless of the cluelessness of the people w/ the boards.

the cynical side of me is now saying that this means there will be more people w/ "vintage" surfboards coming into the shop hoping to pass off turds for $$$.

Plastic Fantastic

FYI,.....the board in question was a '70's stinger, custom shaped PF,....these boards in the early '70, were not the pop-outs of today made in Japan, along with the other "bought" labels of the '70's, such as Oceanside, Surfboards Austraila, Challenger---now made in China.
    PF, were made in Hawaii (Gary Chapman, team rider), Cali, and in RI(the RI shaper was Jim Phillips----who's still living his dream).

ps---the board was donated to the California Surfing Museum, it fills in a developement segment----'70 stinger

Aloha, Randy

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Randy Myer View Post
    FYI,.....the board in question was a '70's stinger, custom shaped PF,....these boards in the early '70, were not the pop-outs of today made in Japan, along with the other "bought" labels of the '70's, such as Oceanside, Surfboards Austraila, Challenger---now made in China.
    PF, were made in Hawaii (Gary Chapman, team rider), Cali, and in RI(the RI shaper was Jim Phillips----who's still living his dream).

ps---the board was donated to the California Surfing Museum, it fills in a developement segment----'70 stinger

Aloha, Randy

Are you on Swaylocks??? Every PF discussion on there everyone there has told me that if you board has a leash plug or alot of color it is most likely not out of the HB shop and is a copy. The board in question had both . If we knew about the glassing that would be a better clue cause all the Over Sea made PF had very poor glassing. I have a PF board out of the HB Shop and you can tell its of a higher caliber when you put it next to a copy

Here is some useful info that may help in your debacle. http://stokednboard.surfingheritage....ntastic_Ca.pdf
    Leash plugs can always be added in later which also could be a possibility.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MATT JOHNSON View Post
    Anyone Catch "Pickers" on History??? I never really watched the show til tonight they were in California and they found some Vintage Surfboards and took them to be apraised.

Pretty cool show I guess they should have gotten a second opinion on the boards. The Vintage Surfboard Expert wanst really right about one board . Pass a Pop out Plasitc Fantastic as a original out of the HB Shop
    the plastic fantastic was very nicee... i have no clue how much its realy wort.. is 1200(i think they paid) a good price?

That was an awesome episode... Birds surfboard collection was beyond epic, and his knowledge was the same.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by KelliSlhater View Post
    Here is some useful info that may help in your debacle. http://stokednboard.surfingheritage....ntastic_Ca.pdf
    Leash plugs can always be added in later which also could be a possibility.
    Yeah but from the looks of it they plug in that board looks orginal. If the show gave a couple closer views of the board it would be easier to tell.

As I said Most of the info I got is off of Swaylocks they have a guy on there board that shaped for PF at one time

Mine was made some time in the early 70's when RH owned the name rights. I didn some talking with Corky Carrol and he helped me narrow down the era of mine after I sent him some pics