LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Images

Question for the fish lovers

Almost every time I paddle out there is at least one guy out on a retro fish, catching tons of waves and having a blast. I've never tried a fish but am really starting to become interested in them, especially with mushy summer waves right around the corner. I would like to hear any feedback about your fish experiences from all the lovers and the haters, what you like or dislike about them.

Also I'm not sure how I would size a fish, I'm 5'8" 140lbs (without a wetsuit) and currently ride a 5'10" beefed up shortboard as my everyday board. I was thinking in the 5'4" to 5'6" range but I'm not sure.

I found a good deal on a 5'6" that's a true retro fish shape but instead of having the classic twin keels it's a futures quad. I imagine that would add some more hold and add a little more performance over the twin so maybe that would be a better option.

Anyway tell me all about what you love or hate about your fishes!

Images
    I love my 5'10 retro twin it is super fast with the right fins. I like that it padded easy cause the volume of foam has been bought out almost to the rail making it nice and full. I can hop in that after riding one of my logs and i have no adjustment time at all

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by RobG View Post
    Almost every time I paddle out there is at least one guy out on a retro fish, catching tons of waves and having a blast. I've never tried a fish but am really starting to become interested in them, especially with mushy summer waves right around the corner. I would like to hear any feedback about your fish experiences from all the lovers and the haters, what you like or dislike about them.

Also I'm not sure how I would size a fish, I'm 5'8" 140lbs (without a wetsuit) and currently ride a 5'10" beefed up shortboard as my everyday board. I was thinking in the 5'4" to 5'6" range but I'm not sure.

I found a good deal on a 5'6" that's a true retro fish shape but instead of having the classic twin keels it's a futures quad. I imagine that would add some more hold and add a little more performance over the twin so maybe that would be a better option.

Anyway tell me all about what you love or hate about your fishes!
    Fish will definately beef up your wave count, but going from shortboard to fish, you will notice a world of difference in turning. Without a middle pivot fin (retro twin), you will have to adjust the way you balance and turn... But in most conditions, fishes are pretty damn fun. I was never a fan, but got one about 6 months ago, and at the right spot on the right swell, the thing is sick!!! Even when I plan on riding the fish, I always bring my standard shortboard, because if there is some decent size and speed on the waves, you will usually regret taking the fish out...

But on most occasions, they are sick!

In The Eye Surfboards in Hatteras,the best twin fin fish.
    i have problems with the wide tails like at low tide if it's sucking out,which it does a lot here,but they are awesome,picking up a new one in two weeks

Images
    Brought my shortboard down today rode it for 20 minutes then ran and got my fish. Glad I did because where I was it was fish wave for sure. I have a trailer in mine which stabilizes it a lot. My favorite fish is one of my own boards with the outline drawn by Mitchell on this forum. The original had the swallow drawn in like a standard fish but I decided to leave the foam in there and diamond point it. Rides freakin great on a wave like today, Super fast down the line, easy to catch waves and pretty manueverable over all. In most cases I wouldn't be riding it on a wave that would allow for a lot of verticle or sudden turns anyway, it's just a fast flowiing design that works. Here are a few pictures of the board after I first finished it last summer.

Last edited by Zippy; Apr 2, 2011 at 04:10 AM.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Zippy View Post
    Brought my shortboard down today rode it for 20 minutes then ran and got my fish. Glad I did because where I was it was fish wave for sure. I have a trailer in mine which stabilizes it a lot. My favorite fish is one of my own boards with the outline drawn by Mitchell on this forum. The original had the swallow drawn in like a standard fish but I decided to leave the foam in there and diamond point it. Rides freakin great on a wave like today, Super fast down the line, easy to catch waves and pretty manueverable over all. In most cases I wouldn't be riding it on a wave that would allow for a lot of verticle or sudden turns anyway, it's just a fast flowiing design that works. Here are a few pictures of the board after I first finished it last summer.
    Dude, that looks sick. I love the rounded off tails or diamond tips. That added foam helps acceleration and i think it helps smooth the transition through turns...

I bet a HUGE reason why that design works so well for you though with that setup, is the thurster fins placement... That whole twin/fin quad setup is where the riding changes for me... I still throw around fishy thursters kinda the same way I do my shortboards, but when you lack a pivot fin it encourages much wider, exagherated turns where it is promoting down the line surfing rather than the rail to rail...

That board looks like it would go rail to rail all day with a little speed behind it. Nice board!

im the same size i ride a 5'4 lost rnfq.. although i like the older rnf's better.. had a retro fish lots of fun but the rnf is just so much more versatile

Images
    Thanks for all the feedback guys. Im gonna see what kind of deals I can find and try to pick one up before summer.

I was originally going to get a biscuit type board but Im really starting to like the idea of a fish. I have a modern RNF thruster type shape with a swallow tail, but its not really a full on fish with the down the line speed they seem to have. Hopefully I can get my hands on that 5'6" quad and try it out.

Images
    Zach,

The fin set up is an exact copy of the tri-fin layout on my Timmy Patterson shortboard. I measured everything from the distance from the tail, the rails and each other. It has the exact same fin cant and toe-in so it really is a fish outline with the fin setup of a thruster, although the fins are Mcnabb twins with a mini trailer. I also thinned out the tail a bunch and the rails as well. I hate thick fat tails and overly bulbous rails. There is a scoop out of the deck near the nose to lesson swing weight, like on my homespun mini sim. Glad you like it, I am going to shape a new model this spring fine tuning this one a bit.
    Last edited by Zippy; Apr 3, 2011 at 03:51 AM.