LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by RobG View Post
    Almost every time I paddle out there is at least one guy out on a retro fish, catching tons of waves and having a blast. I've never tried a fish but am really starting to become interested in them, especially with mushy summer waves right around the corner. I would like to hear any feedback about your fish experiences from all the lovers and the haters, what you like or dislike about them.

Also I'm not sure how I would size a fish, I'm 5'8" 140lbs (without a wetsuit) and currently ride a 5'10" beefed up shortboard as my everyday board. I was thinking in the 5'4" to 5'6" range but I'm not sure.

I found a good deal on a 5'6" that's a true retro fish shape but instead of having the classic twin keels it's a futures quad. I imagine that would add some more hold and add a little more performance over the twin so maybe that would be a better option.

Anyway tell me all about what you love or hate about your fishes!
    i'm 5'9" 160 and i've got several fishes, but my go to twin fin is a 5'10" x 21" x 2 1/2" I shaped about 3 years ago...

Love: it's crazy fast, holds in punchy waves, paddles/floats great in 5mm. winter rubber.
    Hate: not really a hate, but flat rockered twin keel fin fishes like this are kind of stiff and "tracky" for riding small summer lumps. These really aren't good grovel boards.

Images
    Mitchell,

What's in that guitar case? Sorry I missed you the other day. I got 4 hours of perfect surf down here and was spent
    by 4pm.
    Last edited by Zippy; Apr 3, 2011 at 04:32 PM.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Zippy View Post
    Mitchell,

What's in that guitar case? Sorry I missed you the other day. I got 4 hours of perfect surf down here and was spent
    by 4pm.
    no worries...yeah that was some fun sh!t Friday.

Thats a cheap bass...drum set off to the right, got a strat too. wanna annoy my neighbors some time?

The only thing I don't like about fishes is that they don't work well in hollow/steep waves. This is due to their generally wide tails. The wave will lift the tail and cause you to nosedive almost everytime. It can also be very difficult to ride the tube because it is so hard to stall the tail.

agree 100% wide tails i can't do steep hollow drops,once i make the drop if i make it i'm ok but low-tide suckouts i suck-out.good surfers might not have that problem;i see photos/videos of guy ripping barrels on 'em,but i lose it off the bottom when i drop in.need a narrow tail for steep hollow low-tide dropping in

Images
    Here is a link to my old threadm reviewing the Quad Fish setup...

http://www.swellinfo.com/forum/showt...t=merrick+quad

The only thing i really didn't try, which I see guys out doing all the time, is putting the larger quad fins on the back/tail slots, and keeping the shorter ones up front... I have been taking notice of a lot of guys doing that. I will give it a try on my new fish when I use it in the right conditions sometime.

Images
    exactly how small does a wave have to be for a fish to not be worth it? i want to buy a board for really mushy small waves but a longboard wont fit in my car.

Quote Originally Posted by dudeman View Post
    they don't work well in hollow/steep waves. This is due to their generally wide tails... It can also be very difficult to ride the tube because it is so hard to stall the tail.
    There are a lot of things you can do to make a fish work better in better surf. I've been building and riding fishes for a very long time, and I'm a huge fan. Subtle changes in bottom contours and rocker can improve performance considerably.

And don't believe everything you hear about "they don't go backside" either!

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by petesmith View Post
    exactly how small does a wave have to be for a fish to not be worth it? i want to buy a board for really mushy small waves but a longboard wont fit in my car.
    There are a lot of fishy boards out there that are fun in waves down to knee-thigh high....i just dont think a "retro" fish with keel fins is the board for that kind of mush. Twin pin tails and big keel fins pointed straight ahead mean fast and down the line to me... If you're mainly interested in a small wide board to skate around on 1-2 foot mush, if go more for a shape like this with a big wide nose and a wide square tail or diamond tail. not necessarily the ...Lost but just for example..

Last edited by mitchell; Apr 3, 2011 at 09:31 PM.

The ...Lost Plank has been "improved" and has evloved into the Uber Plank... which looks a lot more like a fish! It's still flat... wide... wide nose and tail... but the bottom and fin setup is totally different. I'd like to give one a go.