LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Surf Cam

Images
    I think alot of people are hipocrits . On one aspect they depend on cams to check the surf cause they are too lazy to Drive and do it them selves or take the inititave to find out how different spots break in diffent conditions. Then on the othere hand they wish the cam wanst there cause it crowds up there break (which isnt there break cause they drive 45 mins plus to get there).

I wasnt gonna put it at CM thats all I am gonna say about location

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MATT JOHNSON View Post
    I think alot of people are hipocrits . On one aspect they depend on cams to check the surf cause they are too lazy to Drive and do it them selves or take the inititave to find out how different spots break in diffent conditions. Then on the othere hand they wish the cam wanst there cause it crowds up there break (which isnt there break cause they drive 45 mins plus to get there).

I wasnt gonna put it at CM thats all I am gonna say about location
    Agreed.

I especially think that no one on this forum should be too upset about cams. Especially since we are sharing information on a website (swellinfo) designed to give people the heads up on exactly where to be... If any of us were that against giving out information to people that may invite them to our spots, then none of us would be on here talking to each other...

I have personally never had an issue with them. I think its great. We have all been at work and checkin the cams... not because we are lazy, but because we are at work! The second im done work, im in the water... So i think we all have uses for them sometimes...

Anyone with pure opposition to them are probably not online anyway. They probably use their old school buot readings and nautical data read outs to predict swell. Like cave men.

Try B & H......they have a huge variety of cams and software that you can set up. Great customer service.

Anyone with pure opposition to them are probably not online anyway. They probably use their old school buot readings and nautical data read outs to predict swell. Like cave men.
    or, they walk to the end of their street to check the surf because their LOCALS

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by dave View Post
    or, they walk to the end of their street to check the surf because their LOCALS
    Yes, I understand that. I have the luxury of having surf at the end of my street. But people who live 30 miles inland get the same view that I get from a webcam. I don't feel slighted because I walked a few blocks and stood on a dune for 5 mintues checking things out, while some kid out in the county checked a cam and loaded up his truck. In most towns that I know of, the cams aren't aimed anywhere good. So if people go to where the cams are, thats fine. I just think most experienced surfers use cams to see if there is in fact any swell out, and what its looking like, and based on what they see, they go to a completely different area than that cam is. Cams dont bother me... Cams dont make people surf any better. It just makes them show up, but usually in the wrong places, and that would happen anyway.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by zach619 View Post
    Yes, I understand that. I have the luxury of having surf at the end of my street. But people who live 30 miles inland get the same view that I get from a webcam. I don't feel slighted because I walked a few blocks and stood on a dune for 5 mintues checking things out, while some kid out in the county checked a cam and loaded up his truck. In most towns that I know of, the cams aren't aimed anywhere good. So if people go to where the cams are, thats fine. I just think most experienced surfers use cams to see if there is in fact any swell out, and what its looking like, and based on what they see, they go to a completely different area than that cam is. Cams dont bother me... Cams dont make people surf any better. It just makes them show up, but usually in the wrong places, and that would happen anyway.
    Yeah exactly, I use cams as a guage to see what other spots are doing. Some people dont have the comfort of walkin down the street or even a short 5 min ride. Most groms depend on cams to see where they need to get a ride too Ect.

I check out B&H but I am gonna give them a call and talk to someone and see what they suggest

You want something that encodes the video over IP; GoPro will not do that. I have to go to work to look at exact models but look at Apex for HD over IP cameras, Feel free to PM me for more info

i see alot of cams in ocnj where I live...some are on house rooftops....can't find them online though, so maybe people keep them private? Theres like 4 which are publicly available that I know of, but there are many other cams which don't necessarily correspond to an online presence.

stoked to hear it won't be in CM,Matt.i drive 85 miles to surf there,and it can be crowded as it is,and if i get skunked,i still like it cam-less,except the deceiving cove-cam

i check the cams everytime before i go out. im not lazy. i just live an hour from the coast. cams are necessary for people who live far inland. i dont have the time or the gas money to make a 2 hour driving session everryyyy day.