LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 53
  1. #21
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    in the grace of the most holy FSM
    Posts
    3,067
    Quote Originally Posted by DaMook View Post
    yup that's basically my point. I just want to know (judging on what boards I already own) what the smallest board can float me. It takes a lot of guesswork out of a 700$ investment with an added piece of calculation.

    So, according to JTS's post, if i'm 190 and interested in a shortboard, then I could go as low as a roughly 1.0 cu. ft. . All I need to do is backward calculate and get an initial number in liters and compare that to whats out there. Very cool!!!

    so for example, a CI MBM+ S2 is 6'2x18.5/8x2.3/8 = .97 cu ft. If I am 190lbs and .5 cu ft = 100lbs, then this board is roughly the lowest volume shortboard i can go. I'm a fat bastiod!!!
    i'm about the same size... 6'1" & 195lbs. my smallest board is 1.07 (5'10"x20"x2 5/8") & it floats me pretty well. i think i'd like it better w/ 1/2" more in width, but oh well. it works for me...i've ridden it in waves chest-head high down to thigh high.

  2. #22
    easiest way. drill a hole. hollow out your surfboard. fill with water. measure how much it takes to fill. now you have your volume. and you DEFINITELY need a new surfboard. duh

  3. #23
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    garbage state
    Posts
    835
    Images
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by njsurfer42 View Post
    i'm about the same size... 6'1" & 195lbs. my smallest board is 1.07 (5'10"x20"x2 5/8") & it floats me pretty well. i think i'd like it better w/ 1/2" more in width, but oh well. it works for me...i've ridden it in waves chest-head high down to thigh high.
    is that a HP shortboard?

  4. #24
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    long branch
    Posts
    224
    Images
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by DaMook View Post
    yup that's basically my point. I just want to know (judging on what boards I already own) what the smallest board can float me. It takes a lot of guesswork out of a 700$ investment with an added piece of calculation.

    So, according to JTS's post, if i'm 190 and interested in a shortboard, then I could go as low as a roughly 1.0 cu. ft. . All I need to do is backward calculate and get an initial number in liters and compare that to whats out there. Very cool!!!

    so for example, a CI MBM+ S2 is 6'2x18.5/8x2.3/8 = .97 cu ft. If I am 190lbs and .5 cu ft = 100lbs, then this board is roughly the lowest volume shortboard i can go. I'm a fat bastiod!!!
    Well it all depends what you see as a board that floats you. Do you like being completely on top of the water when you sit or do you like being submerged up to your stomach?

  5. #25
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    garbage state
    Posts
    835
    Images
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by lbsurfer View Post
    Well it all depends what you see as a board that floats you. Do you like being completely on top of the water when you sit or do you like being submerged up to your stomach?
    i dont care about that. I care about paddlebility and wave entry (depending on the wave conditions)

  6. #26
    Quote Originally Posted by rDJ View Post
    Coil are EPS core epoxy vacuum laminate, but NOT AT ALL like a Surftech. No more expensive to fix than a standard poly or epoxy hand laminate. If someone is charging you more, it's because they are lying to you or don't know what they are doing. I had a small rail shatter once through the finish layer. Laminate was still water tight. Easy fix with a little epoxy and some cloth to seal up the cracks.

    Quite honestly I have seen VERY few Coils in need of serious repair. Most I see spider cracks on a hit that usually would be a major ding in traditional construction or I've seen a couple snapped boards that were well used and put into heavy conditions. Coils seem to be very immune to the standard dings.
    Although I think Coils are good boards, I have experienced a serious repair first hand and all I did was bang my knee off the board. I was in Mex and the wave was closing out so I popped off the back and as I popped off my knee went THROUGH the deck...it wasn't even that hard of a bang...so there I was in nowheresville Mex with a giant hole in this supposedly tough board. Bunk....I did a hack job of fixing it for the rest of the trip and then had a shaper do a full job when I got home....granted this was a very early coil made under neilson but I wasn't happy with how the board held up....I have had poly boards that could take a blow twice that hard and barely have a dent....needless to say I didnt buy another.

    This is just one experience and I personally think I got a lemon but they also lost a customer. I know other cats who have these boards and love them..take that for what you will

    As far as volume is concerned, I think it is only a matter of time before all reputable surf shops/shapers will have a sink tub that will solve the problem once and for all. Couldn't be that hard of a thing to make and it wouldn't have to be all that wide if you are just measuring short boards....in fact, I think I just got an idea for an invention~!~!~!

  7. #27
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    in the grace of the most holy FSM
    Posts
    3,067
    Quote Originally Posted by DaMook View Post
    is that a HP shortboard?
    kind of a high performance stubby...CI motorboat. full nose, wide squash tail, thickness carried out to the rails...

  8. #28
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    MonCo NJ
    Posts
    355
    Quote Originally Posted by kellyrojo78 View Post
    Although I think Coils are good boards, I have experienced a serious repair first hand and all I did was bang my knee off the board. I was in Mex and the wave was closing out so I popped off the back and as I popped off my knee went THROUGH the deck...it wasn't even that hard of a bang...so there I was in nowheresville Mex with a giant hole in this supposedly tough board. Bunk....I did a hack job of fixing it for the rest of the trip and then had a shaper do a full job when I got home....granted this was a very early coil made under neilson but I wasn't happy with how the board held up....I have had poly boards that could take a blow twice that hard and barely have a dent....needless to say I didnt buy another.

    This is just one experience and I personally think I got a lemon but they also lost a customer. I know other cats who have these boards and love them..take that for what you will

    As far as volume is concerned, I think it is only a matter of time before all reputable surf shops/shapers will have a sink tub that will solve the problem once and for all. Couldn't be that hard of a thing to make and it wouldn't have to be all that wide if you are just measuring short boards....in fact, I think I just got an idea for an invention~!~!~!
    That was the first gen when they were doing boards for Neilson and WRV. I've seen some of those still around that are bright white and only minor pressure denting. They are currently on the 3rd gen now using different fibers. The guys from Coil will openly tell you their boards are NOT indestructible. Mike has said there isn't an indestructible board made that he would want to ride. I agree. Anything that strong has a dead flex and ride, *cough* Surftech *cough*. But the current Coil tech strikes the perfect balance of durabilty, ride, and price IMO. I've seen a Coil snap in person in some heavy surf, but any board would have snapped under those conditions and maybe sooner.

  9. #29
    Hey Guys I built an iphone app that does all of this: mysurfboardapp.com check it out!

  10. #30
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Central FL
    Posts
    3,810
    +1 on Coil, I have had my Flashback Fish for a year and 3 months, been to PR and back, in some pretty heavy waves and not a scratch on her. It's one of the new models with "kick" or dimples as some call it. Can't imagine doing any damage to it, it's a sick board to surf to