LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
    Actually, if all you want is to compare a new board to one you have and like, your rough method isn't horrible . . . But it is only rough. You already know that there are many things besides floatiness that affect your love affair with a piece of laminated foam!

Quote Originally Posted by epidemicepic View Post
    lost boards all have the volume posted next to the off the rack dimensions you can buy them in on their website, i love when shapers post volume.
    savor it. it was way too long in coming...

Quote Originally Posted by baddy trailerpark View Post
    savor it. it was way too long in coming...
    another unseen advantage of upping ones' volume - and, of course this is a personal choice - is paddle/baddle
    wise one has an advantage over those who choose a 5/anything hpsb.

As long as she is easily maneuverable ( I like some tail volume ), a little extra on the hips makes it way easier on the initial entry.

Quote Originally Posted by lbsurfer View Post
    Well it all depends what you see as a board that floats you. Do you like being completely on top of the water when you sit or do you like being submerged up to your stomach?
    a while back, I read a theory on SI that floating too high on the water makes it harder to catch waves than being partially submerged. The thought is that when you're floating too high, waves just roll underneath you, passing you by.

On the other hand, the more you're submerged (to a certain extent), the more you become part of the wave and are more likely get picked up by it.

Don't know if any of this is true(?), but it does kinda make sense.
    Last edited by waterbaby; Jun 11, 2014 at 04:20 PM.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by waterbaby View Post
    a while back, I read a theory on SI that floating too high on the water makes it harder to catch waves than being partially submerged. The thought is that when you're floating too high, waves just roll underneath you, passing you by.

On the other hand, the more you're submerged (to a certain extent), the more you become part of the wave and are more likely get picked up by it.

Don't know if any of this is true(?), but it does kinda make sense.
    That's not really true. A board with more volume/float is going to allow you to paddle faster. If you're able to meet the speed of the wave, you'll catch it. Sitting in the water will create more drag but if your paddling abilities are there you'll be fine, that's why some folks can ride potato chip boards. When you're up and surfing you may find the extra volume working against you, giving your a more corky ride, harder to use your rails and you'll find your minor adjustments turn into major adjustments in order to get any responsiveness.

When you're up on the wave, you're ideally on top of the water with the least amount of drag possible. You only become part of the wave again when you crash.

Quote Originally Posted by ClemsonSurf View Post
    That's not really true. A board with more volume/float is going to allow you to paddle faster.
    the thing is, there's more to a board that paddles well than just volume alone. by way of example, my own recent personal experience: i tend to like boards in the 33-34L range for small wave groveler type boards. my 5'8" layzboy (33.8L), i disliked & felt it really didn't paddle well for me. borrowed a friend's 5'8 bing dharma (31.8L) & it paddled & surfed much better IMO, even in crap surf. the difference, i think, was in the wetted surface area of the board. the dimensions were, for all intents, identical: 5'8"x21"x2 1/2" for the layzboy vs. 5'8"x21 1/8"x2 5/16" for the dharma. the dharma had a much more parallel outline & a wider nose & tail than the layzboy.
    if you only take into account volume, then the layzboy should have been the better paddling board. it hada full 2 liters on the dharma, but i felt the opposite to be true. there are just so many things going on in a surfboard that unless you isolate one variable (volume) for tweaking, you're really just whistling in the dark.

Quote Originally Posted by ClemsonSurf View Post
    That's not really true. A board with more volume/float is going to allow you to paddle faster. If you're able to meet the speed of the wave, you'll catch it. Sitting in the water will create more drag but if your paddling abilities are there you'll be fine, that's why some folks can ride potato chip boards. When you're up and surfing you may find the extra volume working against you, giving your a more corky ride, harder to use your rails and you'll find your minor adjustments turn into major adjustments in order to get any responsiveness.

When you're up on the wave, you're ideally on top of the water with the least amount of drag possible. You only become part of the wave again when you crash.
    Clemson has taught you a lot. What you say makes more sense.

Quote Originally Posted by njsurfer42 View Post
    the thing is, there's more to a board that paddles well than just volume alone. by way of example, my own recent personal experience: i tend to like boards in the 33-34L range for small wave groveler type boards. my 5'8" layzboy (33.8L), i disliked & felt it really didn't paddle well for me. borrowed a friend's 5'8 bing dharma (31.8L) & it paddled & surfed much better IMO, even in crap surf. the difference, i think, was in the wetted surface area of the board. the dimensions were, for all intents, identical: 5'8"x21"x2 1/2" for the layzboy vs. 5'8"x21 1/8"x2 5/16" for the dharma. the dharma had a much more parallel outline & a wider nose & tail than the layzboy.
    if you only take into account volume, then the layzboy should have been the better paddling board. it hada full 2 liters on the dharma, but i felt the opposite to be true. there are just so many things going on in a surfboard that unless you isolate one variable (volume) for tweaking, you're really just whistling in the dark.
    I could be wrong, but doesn't the Dharma have a flatter rocker than the LayZboy?...that would make a significant difference in paddling, despite the negligible difference in volume

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by njsurfer42 View Post
    You're right. There's no use in debunking partial theories with partial theories. We've been through it before and a surfboard is more than the sum of it's parts.

Why don't you rocket scientists just easy button this crap? Don't buy a board without the volume being listed. Granted used purchaes may push you down into your bat cave to crunch algorithms. I am 5'10', 180lbs, intermediate in skills, and older in age- 42. I don't get a ton of water reps due to job and family. I ride a 6'3" x 19.5" x 2.5" CI Flyer with 31 liters of volume and it works great.