LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Jersey Surf

Images
    I think the NE has been getting more exposure because of all the factors you mentioned. Better suits, better forecasting. There are a lot more people in the NE paying attention to surfing. The east coast media market on the entire east coast has grown HUGE in the past decade....

Most surf coverage from the East coast in recent years has always been OBX and Central FL... And while OBX does fire a lot, the warm water and boardshort wearing counter parts in all the footage you see are usually surfing semi-clean, mushy waves with little ramps on it down in Florida... No gaping barrels, with offshores....

So, on a good day, the conditions in Jersey just clean up better than most spots on the east coast. Yes, its not west coast consistency, but when it happens there, its better than elsewhere... Im just saying, I think more people are surfing in the SE because its comfortable waether and water, but all my research has backed up that from the midatlantic heading north, the surf has a lot more potential....

Again, at least you guys get exposure... I have NEVER, not ONCE seen in any Surfline photo actricle even ONE shot of OC MD.Its always jersey... And sometimes OC MD is firing too, if not better on certain days, but again, no cameras. No media. No pros there shredding the inlet on a surf trip.... I think the OC locals love that, because out of site, out of mind, but I sure would like to see some firing barrels on surfline of MD. I know they are there... Just always undocumented...

So, I wouldn't be too mad about it... I have had to have the "Yes, Maryland does have a beach and yes there is surf there" conversation all over the place... Its nice to see Jersey and the NE getting some exposure... Making guys on the west coast see those shots and be like, dam*, I wish I was there for that moment... Its better than everyone sh**ting on the whole east coast like they mainly do... I think its good for guys back home, just to feel like their opinion matters. Like what they are doing is being respected, and they are doing it well enough to deserve to be on the mainstream....

Its better than an article saying "The NE SUCKS!"

Quote Originally Posted by zach619 View Post
    Again, at least you guys get exposure... I have NEVER, not ONCE seen in any Surfline photo actricle even ONE shot of OC MD.
    I've seen maybe 3-4 shots of ocmd mixed into 1-2 general "east coast was firing this weekend" articles.

Brick Township, New Jersey, United States
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by rDJ View Post
    I surfed on Tuesday with only about 5 other guys at an extremely popular Monmouth Co. jetty. None of them were kooks.

i was at that extremely popular jetty as well. big day and at most 5 people. almost my entire time out there was me and 2 others. one guy was talking to himself tho, kinda creepy, but no crowds. ill take that spot with no crowd any day

I've surfed jersey for 15 years now and I wouldn't change it for the world. The people are, the families run deep the food is the best and during certain times of the the surf gets really good! Plus I love the smell a stinky panties...

most of it was OBX. Most of the surfers were from VB. Just saying... jersey didnt get but so much love.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by leethestud View Post
    most of it was OBX. Most of the surfers were from VB. Just saying... jersey didnt get but so much love.
    I think you all should stop complaining. It's going to be what it's going to be despite making stupid threads about how surfing in the n.e. is becoming more popular. who cares? making this pointless thread won't prevent nj or anywhere else from getting more crowded. I wish there were more positive threads on the this site...everyone is consistantly negative.

Quote Originally Posted by super fish View Post
    I think you all should stop complaining. It's going to be what it's going to be despite making stupid threads about how surfing in the n.e. is becoming more popular. who cares? making this pointless thread won't prevent nj or anywhere else from getting more crowded. I wish there were more positive threads on the this site...everyone is consistantly negative.
    you got me all wrong, i live in vb and surfed most of those days in obx. im stoked about the article.

Here's some positivity... more surf on the way!

Images

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by leethestud View Post
    you got me all wrong, i live in vb and surfed most of those days in obx. im stoked about the article.
    I didn't mean you specifically, it just quoted your post. I was referring to the thread in general.

my opinion is that ppl (and its mainly west coast) shiit on jersey so much because theyre threatened by the attention nj gets and the respect that nj surfers get for being so dedicated in spite of inconsistency and cold weather even though its nowhere near as good here as west coast. ive heard many ppl say "oh you guys have surf in jersey? really?" this never bothers me cuz jersey aint gotta prove nothin, if youve seen it you know. but when have you ever heard a california "surfer" shiit on georgia surfing? ive never heard it and the reason is because no website or mag has ever ran an article glorifying georgias empty lineups or "hardcore" year round dedicated surfers like they would about obx or jersey

Quote Originally Posted by zach619 View Post
    I think the NE has been getting more exposure because of all the factors you mentioned. Better suits, better forecasting. There are a lot more people in the NE paying attention to surfing. The east coast media market on the entire east coast has grown HUGE in the past decade....

Most surf coverage from the East coast in recent years has always been OBX and Central FL... And while OBX does fire a lot, the warm water and boardshort wearing counter parts in all the footage you see are usually surfing semi-clean, mushy waves with little ramps on it down in Florida... No gaping barrels, with offshores....

So, on a good day, the conditions in Jersey just clean up better than most spots on the east coast. Yes, its not west coast consistency, but when it happens there, its better than elsewhere... Im just saying, I think more people are surfing in the SE because its comfortable waether and water, but all my research has backed up that from the midatlantic heading north, the surf has a lot more potential....

Again, at least you guys get exposure... I have NEVER, not ONCE seen in any Surfline photo actricle even ONE shot of OC MD.Its always jersey... And sometimes OC MD is firing too, if not better on certain days, but again, no cameras. No media. No pros there shredding the inlet on a surf trip.... I think the OC locals love that, because out of site, out of mind, but I sure would like to see some firing barrels on surfline of MD. I know they are there... Just always undocumented...

So, I wouldn't be too mad about it... I have had to have the "Yes, Maryland does have a beach and yes there is surf there" conversation all over the place... Its nice to see Jersey and the NE getting some exposure... Making guys on the west coast see those shots and be like, dam*, I wish I was there for that moment... Its better than everyone sh**ting on the whole east coast like they mainly do... I think its good for guys back home, just to feel like their opinion matters. Like what they are doing is being respected, and they are doing it well enough to deserve to be on the mainstream....

Its better than an article saying "The NE SUCKS!"