LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

surfing etiquette thread

I'm going to post one example of commonly experienced bad surfing etiquette each day on this thread. Feel free to contribute.

1. If you see a small group of guys surfing a peak, and the rest of the beach is empty, do not paddle up to them and expect to get waves. Go down the beach and find your own.

Or if you come with 4 guys, 2 longboards and 2 brand new paraletic Lost's. Dont all clog the peak, blowing waves.

The longboarders were getting waves - BIG SHOCKER! but the 2 douches with matching 650$ boards... move off the peak.

Monday venting done!

haha i like this thread already.

Images
    Or dont drop in behind a guy in the foam and try to get around him when he has the wave and try to make seem he dropped in on you. All it gonna do is end in embarrassment for you

What do you think of this...

If you're sitting in the lineup, and the guy who has priority takes a wave, and the next guy in line does not paddle over into the takeoff spot.... it's ok to paddle around him, because priority is up for grabs!

...or am I just being a d!ck.

What if I bring snacks out to the line up, then can I cut people off?

Quote Originally Posted by Zeroevol View Post
    What if I bring snacks out to the line up, then can I cut people off?
    an exception has been made

Just go on Surfline they have the bill of rights and lefts.

A good guide to surf etiquette

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by LBCrew View Post
    What do you think of this...

If you're sitting in the lineup, and the guy who has priority takes a wave, and the next guy in line does not paddle over into the takeoff spot.... it's ok to paddle around him, because priority is up for grabs!

...or am I just being a d!ck.
    I would say if its one of those spots with a single takeoff spot is, like on the end of a jetty breaking in one direction, you paddle around him if others are just going to anyway to get to the deep/priority spot. It sounds like the guy doesnt want the most critical part of the takeoff anyway. I would probably paddle around and get the priority but if i had a chance to gift the shoulder hopping guy a good wave from the priority spot i would.

Actually on a serious note, you drop in, heading down the line, guy starts to paddle, you give him the hoot letting him know you are on it, and he still drops in.... My experience with this is usually bodyboarders and inexperienced surfers. I don't know, to me it's kind of common sense not to drop in, in front of someone. Ok, thanks Lee for letting me share!