LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910
    Images
    What is a SUPr's place in the lineup? They get whatever they go for? or do they just get dropped in on non-stop?

I think the absolute worst thing to do is to ditch your SUP while paddling back out with surfers behind and beside you. I don't think it gets any worse than that.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by wallysurfr View Post
    What is a SUPr's place in the lineup? They get whatever they go for? or do they just get dropped in on non-stop?

I think the absolute worst thing to do is to ditch your SUP while paddling back out with surfers behind and beside you. I don't think it gets any worse than that.
    PERFECT WORLD: guys with an SUP would either avoid other surfers so as to not endanger anyone, and not to hog all the waves since they can obviously scoot from point break to point break. only guys who were experienced and could control their board with proper lineup knowledge would stick to the lineup like any other surfer

REAL WORLD: guys with SUP's feel entitled to any and all waves, and will precariously position themselves in the lineup and cut you off and lose control of their board and hit you with it (happened more than once to me). they will also shoot you dirty looks for "cutting them off" when you have the right of way.

Quote Originally Posted by goofy footer View Post
    Now that was what I was talk'n about yesterday and this is no surprise of you ......
    Your act of Kindness I'm sure made an lasting impression on that young surfer too.

Just a little extra effort helping others either like this and giving pointers to those less experience could remedy most problems on a crowded session.
    Totally agree on this one. Did something similar a few years ago and now surf with the guy regularly. As stated earlier, the helpful approach works almost every time. It's that one or 2 jerks that don't care that create almost all of the hassles.

Images
    EMILIO!

How about two people paddling for the peak, one goofy going left one regular going right, all would be well and good and both could take the A frame except they are flip flopped, both call eachother off by saying going left, going right respectively. Who gets the wave?
    You have to go backside then. Its etiquette. That happens all the time. Im goofy, so I will try and line up left, but when an a-frame is coming and im deeper than the other guy to go left, but I would then in effect null a perfectly good a-frame, you always take off the other way. This is how you make friends in the water. Half the time, you get back to the lineup and the other guy is like, dude, thanks, I just got a sick wave... , I literally say out loud just to be sure, "Ill go right" and call the backside take off so they know they can go left.

I typically would like to go left, but that is a di** move for sure... If its an a-frame, you should take off backside if you are going to force going one direction, thus hogging the wave...

Even if the left looks better, i will go backside all day and share a wave... Its the circle of life. Especially in good, crowded condtions. Cause for sure, you will have the same thing happen back to you, when instead of having to pull out of a great left, the deeper guy seees that there is a wide open right hander and give you the shoulder... Then bam. One big happy family....

Images

depends on the condtions. The spot. The crowd and a lot of stuff. I have quite a few SUPers in my lineups all over the place. On small days, on huge days. On reefs, at beaches... And for the most part, the better the surf, the better the crowd, the more well behaved the SUPs are. They will always paddle back out a tad deeper because they require more momentum to take off, but if everyone out if lined up and decent, the SUP has to sit outside, but wait turns....

If its knee high and there are 200 guys out at a surf beach in OC MD in august, its lawless. I mean, every man for himself type stuff.... but if waves are good, SUP guys no longer have this big advantage on taking off. Usually they are gonna eat shi* on steep beach breaks....

So when its small, and crowded, just trade your potato chip in for a longboard and go head to head with the SUP guy out there. Get more waves and beat him at his own game, but if its good out, the ocean always regulates its users... The bigger and better the surf, the lesser the crowd, the easier to pick off a set and the less likely an SUP guy will be anywhere near you.....

SUPs mind their business when its good out. Its when its crap that they will abuse their privilege.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by leethestud View Post
    #3- If you feel the need to ditch your board rather than duck diving, make sure that nobody is paddling out behind or near you.

Once upon a time I picked up 18 stitches right along my hair line because some idiot in front of me ditched his board when a clean up set came through. I was wearing a white tee when it happened and I didnt realize that I was bleeding until I got out to the line up and all eyes were on me... "dude, umm, are you alright?"
    so thats why u have that goofy hair cut

Quote Originally Posted by zach619 View Post
    from a shortboarder, I agree that the guys inside are probably right. The whole reason LB and SB riders clash is for this reason. Just because you can catch a wave that far out, does not mean that you should. If guys have established a lineup to the inside of you, you are a di** if you start paddling deep than them and waiting.... Ever old dude I know tries this and it doesn't last.... The shortboarders will eventually just start snaking them left and right... And if it gets out of hand, I have seen the shortboard sandwhich where they lineup on each of the LB's shoulders and paddle inwards, making every option for the longboarder a drop in.

I mean, if the surf is good, then this is not an issue. And if the shortboarders at your spot are really good, believe me, they can paddle into any wave, just as far out as you can on a LB....

I got the treat of a free surf at trestles while Taj was surfing this year, and im telling you, Taj and his boys were catching the lowers peak like 150 yards outside the lineup. I mean, they were paddling so fast and so hard, they were taking off on every line super early. I mean, long baorders were WAAAY inside of them... Definately made me go home and just paddle my as$ off for days....
    yeah I can defiantly see that, if the line up is already established, and as I said I keep my distance regardless. the situation I was seeing was more the other way, that I and perhaps others were already out and a crew comes and parks inside. The other thing I didn't mention is that this is basically a summer scenario when it's hard to find space anywhere, other times of the year it's not a problem especially the small days I go out.

Todays entry

4.) If something does compel you to surf in a crowd, and there isnt much of a "line-up", treat it like an outfield fly and call it (if you are in position or closest to the peak). This is a good litmus test for other surfers too, if anyone blatantly cuts you off after you called the wave, they are a 8==>s and deserve a conversation with the pumpmaster.